[NCUC-EC] Soliciting Nominations of Candidates for NCUC Delegate to the ICANN 2016 NominatingCommittee

PeterGreen seekcommunications at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 9 12:16:49 CEST 2015

Remmy:But my questions now is what should be our resolve on NomCom while we prepare for the future and why the EC waited these long without taking decisive step on how to handle this given prevailing challenges and status of NCUC knowing fully the route abi nitio.
James Gannon:
With regards to the NomCom the position will be filled as per the bylaws, Peter Green I believe is compiling a shortlist for the EC to consider.
@Bill 4.  I think Peter’s proposed timeline is sensible and pretty much the only logical option, so I will pass that along to ncuc-discuss.  I guess the five of you should consult off list, not in front of me. As always, the EC should also be prepared to take on board inputs from others subscribed here, i.e. our reps to the NCSG EC (Rafik, Tapani, and Robin) and Treasurer (Milton), as they form part of our leadership team and happen to have significant background knowledge of who who’ve had on NomCom why and what is needed from the person in the role.
Recall earlier statements by Jean-Jacques:- You [James] suggest that the email from the outgoing Chair was in fact a call for candidates, but that is not how I understood the text. The appropriate method must be a clear call for candidates from the EC, or on its behalf, and this should be issued before any names are mentioned.- Best practices on selection procedures make clear that putting forward a name prior to an open call for candidates frequently has a deterrent effect on the willingness of some members to declare their candidacy, and may influence both the selection process and the final outcome.

For transparency and in line with suggestions in folks' discussions, as the EC, shall we send out an open call for soliciting candidates on NomCom position. @Bill, as our Chair, could you please be kind to sent out an official call with the proposed selection timeline you agree with.Then, point taken, we shall start discussions on selection, adding Rafik, Milton Robin and Tapani in the list. Note: according to people's suggestions, the NomCom position selection will be subject to current NCUC Bylaws.As per 6 in Section F of  NCUC Bylaws:F. The Executive Committee shall have the following duties:6.  Appoint the Constituency’s representatives to the ICANN Nominating Committee by majority vote, with at least four members voting.Plus, the selection criteira of Nominating Committee specified and attached in the pervious (following ) email.I propose we take opinions in discussions from Rafik, Milton, Robin and Tapani for reference, the final decision i.e. votes, would be made by our 5 regional EC representatives.Let's move this along.Awaiting your response.Best Peter