[NCUC-EC] Aligning ourselves with ICANN regions

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:27:06 CEST 2014

Hi

I was just tweaking the draft Istanbul minutes (will send) and noticed something.

In the draft and on the website http://www.ncuc.org/governance/executive-committee/ we have been calling Carlos the South America rep and Pranesh the Asia rep. I don’t know if there’s historical reason for this, but unless there’s an unknown imperative I would think we should be using the proper names of the ICANN regions.   In fact, I seem to recall some Caribbean member(s) (maybe Tracy?) objecting once to our nomenclature.

The ICANN regions are http://meetings.icann.org/regions

AF = Africa
AP = Asia/Australia/Pacific
AQ = Antarctica
EUR = Europe
LAC = Latin America/ Caribbean
NA = North America

Which I guess points to another way our bylaws are goofy; they hold that "The EC shall consist of the Chair, a Secretary-Treasurer and Regional Representatives (one for each of the geographic regions recognized by ICANN).”  But of course, we don’t elect a rep of AQ.  Whatever.

I suggest we use the correct region names to avoid problems.  Stefi, if you could you please align the website listings I’d appreciate it.  Thanks!

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland