[NCUC-EC] Proposal on New member admission process and member databases

Milan, Stefania Stefania.Milan at EUI.eu
Tue Sep 23 15:30:26 CEST 2014

Consensus. I got similar concerns in several occasions from people i had encouraged to join...

unfortunately the website does not provide any info on the time frame of the application, which is also confusing to people. My two cents.. s.

________________________________
Da: ncuc-ec-bounces at lists.ncuc.org <ncuc-ec-bounces at lists.ncuc.org> per conto di William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com>
Inviato: martedì 23 settembre 2014 15.28
A: Exec. Comm
Oggetto: [NCUC-EC] Proposal on New member admission process and member databases

Hi

Does this make sense to people?  We just trust our reps on the NCSG EC and take the whole NCUC EC pro forma approval step out of the process?

Bill

Begin forwarded message:

From: William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com<mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com>>
Date: September 23, 2014 at 3:18:01 PM GMT+2
To: Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at GMAIL.COM<mailto:seun.ojedeji at GMAIL.COM>>
Cc: NCSG Members <NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>>

Hi Seun

On Sep 23, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com<mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>> wrote:

Funny enough....NCSG membership got processed months before NCUC's[1]

Again, the process that emerged out of the restructuring is this: When the NCSG EC meets and approves a group of new members, the NCSG chair (Rafik) sends the NCUC chair (me) a list indicating which ones also asked to be NCUC members, which I then send to the NCUC EC for approval and the NCUC e-team to add to the NCUC data base and mail list.  Normally once the info comes to NCUC, everything at our end gets done in about a week, unless the timing's bad and people are off line and slow to respond to email etc.  The only times I recall that there have been month delays have been when a new member did not tick that they wanted to be NCUC as well and hence did not get on the list Rafik sends, or ticked NPOC by accident (some individuals have done this, and individuals can't join NPOC).  We just dealt with one of these today.  In such cases, the NCUC EC doesn't know there's a problem until the member says hey how come I'm not on the mail list, which we wouldn't know since we didn't know they wanted to be a member in the first place.

All this could be done better, and with Maryam now in place to support us perhaps we can simplify.  Insofar as I've never seen the NCUC EC say no to an application that was approved by the NCSG EC, maybe we could simply drop the whole second review process, trust that the two NCUC representatives on the NCSG EC have properly vetted for both levels, and new members they approve can be automatically added to NCUC's data base and mail lists by Maryam as soon as Rafik notifies.  That'd take a week of delay and extra cycles for multiple volunteers out of the process without negative consequences, methinks.

Best

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org<http://www.ncuc.org>
william.drake at uzh.ch<mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch> (direct), wjdrake at gmail.com<mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com> (lists),
  www.williamdrake.org<http://www.williamdrake.org>

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.