[NCUC-EC] NCUC ELECTION 2014

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Oct 27 17:52:48 CET 2014

Hi folks

It’s that time of the year, and we need to get this booted up quickly and announced to the members list so people can start thinking about nominations etc.  It is a major hassle and time suck for volunteers to coordinate this and Maryam’s just started and will only be able to do so much, so your help in moving things along would be greatly appreciated.

The first order of business is to decide the calendar ASAP and get an announcement out.  In 2012 the cycle commenced 15 October and concluded 30 November, but last year the scheduling of the annual meeting Buenos Aires made us push it back to 6 November - 17 December, with results announced the 18th.  This year’s annual in LA was also a bit ill-timed in terms of trying to do an October boot-up, hence we need to scurry a bit now.

The standard deal is 3 two week chunks, easiest done Monday-Sunday, so I suggest the following:

November 3 - 16: Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
November 17 - 30: Candidates submit statements to ncuc-discuss
December 1 − 14: Election period
December 15: Results announced

I can’t really imagine another timeline to do this and the antique bylaws just dump the process in the chair’s lap (to the extent that they say anything at all about the election’s conduct), but please let me know ASAP if you have any concerns, otherwise I'll send an announcement to the members’ list tomorrow.  We really should allow a week before the nomination start.

The biggest hassles here involve determining voter eligibility, making sure everyone gets ballots, and related mechanical stuff.  I propose to deal with those on the e-team list, since Maryam and other folks most likely to be involved in helping are subscribed there.  Anyone who’s not subscribed and would like to pitch in is heartily encouraged to join http://lists.ncuc.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e-team <http://lists.ncuc.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e-team>.

Thanks much,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer