[NCUC-EC] NCPH Intersessional meeting in DC 12-13 January 2015

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 11:43:03 CET 2014

Hi

Warning: long message ahead

I have mentioned several times at our Constituency Day meetings and on the list that there is a intersessional meeting of the NonContracted Parties House (NCPH) scheduled for Washington DC Monday-Tuesday January 12-13. If resources can be found, there could also be a sort of outreach session in the morning of the 14th geared toward DC civil society groups, think tanks, etc.  The latter is very much TBD.

We did one of these two years ago in LA, and the documents are here https://community.icann.org/display/ncph/InterSessional+-+January+2013 <https://community.icann.org/display/ncph/InterSessional+-+January+2013>

The recording and transcripts for the planning of the 2015 meeting are here https://community.icann.org/display/ncph/Planning%3A+Conference+Calls%2C+Recordings%2C+Transcripts <https://community.icann.org/display/ncph/Planning:+Conference+Calls,+Recordings,+Transcripts>.  The records of meeting we held just two days ago, which of course has the latest news, are attached to this message.

You don’t need to have a Confluence wiki log-in to access these docs, but I think you do need one if you want to comment/edit etc.  I believe that anyone who wants to be active in GNSO-related work can get one, just shoot a note to one of the relevant staffers, e.g. maryam.bakoshi at icann.org <mailto:maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>, Glen at icann.org <mailto:Glen at icann.org> or nathalie.peregrine at icann.org <mailto:nathalie.peregrine at icann.org>

Anyway, the purpose of this meeting will be to take stock of common concerns among members of the non-contracted parties, i.e.

Commercial Stakeholder Group
Business Constituency
Intellectual Property Constituency
Internet Service Providers Constituency

NonCommercial Stakeholder Group
NonCommercial Users Constituency
Not for Profit Operational Concerns Constituency

The trilateral negotiation between commercial, noncommercial, and staff can be a bit thick at times, but the basic idea is that this is an occasion to do things like a) try to improve dialogue and collaboration between the SGs on procedural responsibilities we share, like selecting a board member, a Vice Chair for the GNSO council, etc (these have been very painful in the past); b) provide an opportunity for brainstorming among the new representatives of the stakeholder groups and constituencies; and c) a chance to intensively interact with Fadi and staff on matters of common concern.

ICANN provides us with travel support as follows:

21 travel slots split between NCSG, NCUC and NPOC:
- NCSG 9  (normally, the 6 Councilors + the chair and two people from the NCSG EC, or perhaps the PC)
- NCUC 6  (normally, the chair and the five regional reps on the Exec. Committee)
- NPOC 6  (normally, the chair and whomever from their EC they select, I don’t know how it works)

Rafik has written to the NCSG PC to see who will be available to attend.  Now I am writing to NCUC, and not just the EC, since we don’t know for sure who will be on the 2015 EC until the election process is further along.  Plus we may wish to modify things, below.

For NCUC, it is a bit difficult to say now who we would be sending because the election process is just getting underway and further nominations are (hopefully!) pending.  So far we have one nomination for 5 of the 6 slots (still nobody from LAC, and just until Sunday to get one, plus any competitors for the other seats).  By next Monday 17th nominations are closed and we know who the candidates are.  Those who do not face any competition for the respective seat can be assumed to be on the 2015 EC unless a majority of members abstain, which would be odd.

In which case I’d be able to forward their names to Constituency Travel, which is very desperate for us to submit names so they can start working on travel arraignments, especially since unlike the business groups a number of our people will be from countries that may require visas.

What I need to know ASAP (Please reply off list) is:

1) Whether each of the candidates for the new EC would be interested in attending if elected.  Travel would be arrival in DC on Sunday 11 January with departure either 13 Tuesday or 14 Wednesday, depending on whether we do an outreach thing Wednesday and there is funding, possible, flight itineraries, etc., all TBD

2)  Whether there are other member would be interested in attending if a slot opens up (i.e. an EC member is unable to attend).  Probably it would be preferable if a replacement person were from the same region as the non-participating EC member, but this is not mandatory.

To get a sense of whether this meeting might be of interest and and something to which you can contribute, one might want to have a look at the documents at the web pages linked above.

Any questions, let me know.

Best

Bill

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Benedetta Rossi <benedetta.rossi at icann.org>
> To: Tony Holmes <tonyarholmes at btinternet.com>, Elisa Cooper	<Elisa.Cooper at markmonitor.com>, "rudi.vansnick at isoc.be"	<rudi.vansnick at isoc.be>, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>, Marilyn Cade	<marilynscade at hotmail.com>, "lori.schulman at ascd.org"	<lori.schulman at ascd.org>, Kristina Rosette <krosette at cov.com>, "Metalitz, Steven" <met at msk.com>, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>, Jimson Olufuye	<jolufuye at kontemporary.net>, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com>
> Cc: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth at icann.org>
> Subject: NCPH Intersessional Planning Call - recording & transcript
> Date: November 12, 2014 at 10:41:18 PM GMT+1
>
> Dear all,
>
> Please find attached the transcript & AC room chat from the NCPH Intersessional planning call which took place today, Nov. 12th, 2014 at 14:00 UTC.
>
> The MP3 recording can be found here: https://icann.box.com/shared/static/cybna5b7298aqeu1r1tg.mp3 <https://icann.box.com/shared/static/cybna5b7298aqeu1r1tg.mp3>
>
> Please note that all transcripts and recordings from previous planning calls can be accessed directly on the NCPH Intersessional Wiki space: https://community.icann.org/x/tRnxAg <https://community.icann.org/x/tRnxAg>
>
> Thank you,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Benedetta
> --
> Benedetta Rossi
> Community Engagement Support Coordinator
>
> Email: benedetta.rossi at icann.org
> Mobile: +33.610.38.27.02
> Skype ID: benedetta.rossi.icann

William J. Drake