[NCUC-EC] Urgent: Travel Funding Applications for Singapore

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Dec 18 10:06:47 CET 2014

Hi

Our first promised task, which we can handle now via email, is to decide on applications for the newly announced travel support program for Singapore.  http://www.ncuc.org/governance/travel-policy/ <http://www.ncuc.org/governance/travel-policy/> We have received just two applications as of the deadline yesterday.  The first is from Joy Liddicoat, our former GNSO Councilor and current rep to the NCSG EC.  http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2014-December/001518.html <http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2014-December/001518.html> When the application came in, Roy, Grace and Stefania expressed their support. Now that the app period is closed, I will express my strong support as well, I think it’s imperative that she be in Singapore. If we could hear from João and Zuan/Peter that’d be helpful in coming to a conclusion on this.

The other application is very different so we need to brainstorm. It is from James Njoroge Gitau.  http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2014-December/001523.html <http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2014-December/001523.html> As I don’t know him and there wasn’t much background info in his app message I wrote to ask for more. Hey says he joined NCUC in 2011, and that he works on a 100% voluntary basis at a Community Resource Center called KASWESHA based in a slum area in Nairobi, offering free internet services to the less advantaged and needy communities, and also offering networking skills to women and youth using Cisco Networking Academy curriculum.  Which all sounds wonderful, albeit a bit remote from ICANN issues.  From what he’s said he’s never been involved in NCUC other than voting and sending a few messages to the mail list, which a priori would suggest that he doesn’t meet two of our key criteria, "Are actively and verifiably engaged in NCUC’s work, for example constituency governance, NCUC/NCSG policy discussions, or GNSO Working Groups [and] Need to be at a given meeting because the above mentioned work will be advanced there.”  Basically, while he’s been around for three years he’s not been involved, and is looking for a “first exposure” opportunity.

I’m of two minds here.  On the one hand, we want to encourage new members.  On the other hand, the program was specifically created to help people who have already manifested an interest in getting engaged and really do need to be at a given meeting because something’s happening there relevant to work they’re involved in.  Those conditions obviously don’t apply here.  I wonder about the signaling of either accepting someone who doesn’t even begin to reach the bar we’ve set (could unleash a flood of similar apps in the future) and alternatively of rejecting a newbie from a developing country.  I guess I incline toward the view that he should be encouraged to reapply after getting involved and being able to demonstrate this (he could for ex: join and be active in the Members Affairs Team we will reboot, focusing precisely on newbie inreach etc). but I am open to persuasion.  Two other points: If he’s 100% volunteering in a slum I’m going to guess he may not have the funds to make his own travel arrangements and then ask for reimbursement per the policy.  But we are not the World Bank, and can’t have Milton wiring $2,000 to someone in advance without knowing what may happen.  Also, I would suggest that we get advice Grace on this, who also is in Nairobi, may know him, and could perhaps follow up directly with him to clarify matters if need be.  If he also would need a visa and and official letter of invite, we are in no position to provide help there (Grace maybe you can say what your experience with staff regarding your letter for DC has been).

Anyway, we should decide those two cases by the weekend so approved travelers can begin planning.

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland