[NCUC-EC] Possible invitees for NCUC CS outreach meeting in DC Wed. 13 January

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Dec 16 02:46:58 CET 2014

On the one hand I agree with Milton that we should work with groups who share our specific goals, even if many of us might individually dislike their ideology. At EFA we've been finding that some engagement with Australia's leading conservative/libertarian think tank has been very useful - much as I think their broader views on economics and industrial relations are usually terrible, they've proved very willing to come out both guns blazing against our conservative/libertarian government on internet censorship, data retention and surveillance, and copyright maximalism. And the government is far more willing to listen to their views than ours (as I'm sure most are aware, our government is unusually awful right now, all ideological culture war all the time, so lobbying them from outside the conservative establishment usually just makes them perversely happy that they are annoying 'the left', in which category they include practically everyone not a member of their own party).

That said, I think Bill has a point in that effort invested in groups that are very unlikely to take any active interest in ICANN issues may not be a very effective use of our limited time. By all means invite anyone you think might be useful Milton, but I'm not that enthused about making the list large just for the sake of openness.

David