[NCUC-EC] Possible invitees for NCUC CS outreach meeting in DC Wed. 13 January

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Dec 15 15:19:49 CET 2014

Hello

As we’ve discussed, there will be an NCUC civil society outreach meeting in DC the morning of Wed. 14 January, after the NCPH meeting.  Probably we’ll do 10-1pm, we’ll see.  Think it will be in some law office, the ICANN office is not available. More on that later.

Again, for the covered travelers, if you cannot get an afternoon or evening flight out on the 14th, ICANN will cover your hotel that night.  Once Constituency Travel starts to get in touch on this and you’ve worked out your itinerary, please let me and Rob Hoggarth know if you will be needing hotel for that night.

I’d like to do something similar to what we tried at the LA outreach meeting, but better—have a number of people teed up to speak 3 minutes each on some of the issues we work on, hold all Q&A until the end and then go to an integrative freewheeling discussion.  Since the folks we will be inviting are generally pretty up to speed beltway mavens, we won’t need to do a lot of what is ICANN introductory nonsense…just get to what we’re doing and then have discussion and say if you’re into knowing more or maybe even joining please be in touch.  We’ll sort this out going forward.

Below is the list of people that the ICANN DC office invited to meet with Fadi when he was in DC in January for the State of the Net Conference.  A number of these it’d be good to invite again, but some I’d drop, e.g. people from conservative think tanks and such who neither share our views nor are going to get involved with us.  I don’t know exactly how many bodies the room we’ll have can accommodate, am waiting for an answer on that from Rob and Chris, but am guessing we’d want a mix like a dozen of us and two dozen external folks?

Depending on the numbers, we may not be able to accommodate all the bodies we can name, or might have to do it in waves, i.e. invite a first tranche and if some say no then invite others.  We’ll figure it out.  What I want to know now is, are there DC public interest activists and friendly analysts you can think of who are not listed and might conceivably be interested in meeting with us to hear what we’re into etc?  If so, please send me their names, affiliations and email addresses to fold into the list, and then we’ll sort out later who’s in our first tranche etc.

Thanks

Bill

Brigner	Paul	Internet Society (ISOC)	Regional Director North America Bureau
Solomon	Brett	Access	Executive Director
Kimmelman	Gene	Public Knowledge	President
Beach	Tim	Georgetown	Director, Program in Science, Technology, and International Affairs
Hoffman	Lance	George Washington	Director, Computer Science Department
Zaychenko	Elizaveta	American Enterprise Institute	Tech Policy Intern
Eisenach	Jeffrey	American Enterprise Institute	Director, Center for Internet, Communications, and Technology Policy
Nojeim	Gregory	Center for Democracy and Technology	Director, Project on Freedom, Security & Technology
Lewis	James	Center for Strategic and International Studies	Director and Senior Fellow, Strategic Technologies Program
DeNardis	Laura	American University	Professor, School of Communications
Lordan	Tim	Internet Education Foundation	Executive Director
Burger	Eric	Georgetown	Research Professor of Computer Science and Director, Georgetown Center for Secure Communications
Dourado	Eli	George Mason	Research Fellow, Tech Policy, Mercatus Center, George Mason Univ.
Levin	Blair	Aspen Institute	Fellow, Aspen Institute
Atkinson	Robert	ITIF	President, ITIF
Brown	Kathryn	ISOC	CEO, ISOC
Kornbluh	Karen	CFR	Senior Fellow for Digital Policy
West	Darrell	Brookings	Vice President and Director, Governance Studies; Founding Director, Center for Technology Innovation
O'Connor	Nuala	CDT	President & CEO
McDowell	Robert	Hudson Institute	Visiting Fellow (and 5th panel member)
Lenard	Thomas	Technology Policy Institute	President
Maciel	Marilia	Center for Technology and Society, Getulio Vargas Foundation	Project Leader/Researcher/Assistant Professor of IP Law
Tim Maurer 	 	Open Technology Institute
Kehl	Danielle	New America Foundation
Sascha Meinrath 	 	New America Foundation
Holmes Wilson	 	Fight for the Future
Pedro Abramovay	 	Open Society Foundations
Yeh	Jennifer	Free Press	Policy Counsel
Craig Aaron 	 	Free Press
Matt Wood	 	Free Press
Rebecca MacKinnon	 	New America and GNI
Catalina Botero 	 	OAS Special Rappourter
Kilic	Burcu	Public Citizen
Cerda	Alberto	Derechos Digitales and Georgetown Univ.
Daniel Weitzner	 	MIT
Vasdev	Samhir	World Bank	Innovation and Design Consultant, Open Technology Alliance
Pohl	Rachel	Aspen Institute
Rossini	Carolina	Public Knowledge