[NCUC-EC] BA schedule

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 09:04:09 CEST 2013

Hello Mr. Chairman,

On Sep 18, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> still I didn't receive any response from CT,  I guess that still didn't get the note about starting the process quickly for via.

I will write to Rob and Joseph and copy you, sigh..

> for coming early to BA, I see NCUC combined event with summer school as great idea to outreach and get new faces, we need more from latin america and it is definitely a dynamic region.

Yes, but I don't think we're going to do anything.  Organizing the South Africa thing took a lot of bandwidth and Singapore will be much more intensive with a day long policy conference plus day long new EC retreat.  I don't have the juice to add organizing a discretionary program in BA and chasing people down about their travel plans and hotel reservations etc on top of it. Ditto a day early bylaws meeting; I had to withdraw the room request since the committee that was formed has not started, there's no plausible production schedule that would result in a text to discuss, there was no reason to believe a critical mass of people was going to be able to come early for a meeting and requests for help ascertaining this didn't work, etc.

My view at this point is that we focus on things that we must and actually can do.  We need to organize and execute an election.  We need to meet with the ATRT on CD and this time have at least one or two members who have read their report and can engage them in conversation.  We need to talk about the policy piece of the bylaws, and whatever other bylaws issues we deem urgent, on CD.  I need to send Glen a CD agenda, today, which would be aided by some EC members responding to my 14 September email floating a draft for input/agreement.  What I think we don't need is more extended back and forths about grand plans that don't get executed.

> for bylaw, any indication about the volunteers who want to join this effort?it is anyway a long process and I see it lasting till the meeting in singapore.

Yes, see previous threads.

Best

Bill

> 2013/9/18 William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com>
> Hi
>
> On Sep 18, 2013, at 9:51 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> wrote:
>
>> Constituency Travel approached me about BA (with rather tight reply
>> deadline). Before I reply them, do we have pre-events in BA
>> that would make it useful to be there earlier than the 15th
>> CT has approved of?
>
> Well, that's what I've been trying to get some feedback on.
>
> On Sep 14, 2013, at 12:55 PM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's now been 5 days and I've only heard from Ed on the question of whether to hold a special meeting on bylaws in BA on Friday 15 Nov.  Ed appears to be wavering in light of the slow boot up and revised larger schedule and I'm opposed, so unless someone argues differently in the next 24 hours (and hopefully, provides evidence that there will be sufficient members there to make it work) I will write to Glen and cancel the room request.  We can use  our normal Constituency Day agenda talking about the progress of Ed's committee and the larger issues, and hopefully take some action on the policy front.
>
>> 3) Friday 15 November
>>
>> I did chat informally with Olga Cavalli the possibility of us doing something substantive together on Friday 15 if we don't do a bylaws meeting.  Whoever got there in time could come.  Both sides need to decide if it's worth pursuing.  We were thinking something combining the South School of IG + NCUC might be fun, like a half day meeting off site (e.g. at university) geared toward civil society outreach, like what we did in Durban.  Anyone have any thoughts on this option?
>

> Nobody has replied.
>
>> Or would it be useful to stay beyond the 21th?
>
> Not to NCUC.
>
> BD

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer