[NCUC-EC] NCUC Bylaws Revision

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 09:25:11 CEST 2013

Hi again

On Sep 9, 2013, at 6:13 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

> And do bear in mind, SIC's not waiting on this…the only sense of urgency I've detected is yours.
>

> ...and Tapani, and Amr, and those who have tried and given up in the past.

Great, so then there's your core group to start and push conversation.

> Well sure, we'd have to organize a special vote, which is a hell of a lot of work, for us and for staff.
>
> Actually we can't do that. Revisions have to be made during a Regular election. But working with the Board SIC there are ways around that should we decide to go that route.

I don't recall the relevant provisions but if you say so, then ok, either it waits to the 2014 election or we work magic with SIC.  I think there's no point in continuing to go back and forth debating precise timings ex ante, we have to get into the process, see how it develops, and how that works with the rest of what we have going on.

> So you favor us keeping the room in BA 15 Nov, noted.  Perhaps you can canvass a little and see how many people could make it?  Depending on the answer, we can then consider whether NCUC could pay the extra night.
>>

> Would we rather have a room booked and find we have no need for it, or have no room and then find out with one push we can get this done?

Based on my vague recollections of the last bylaws revision and the NCSG charter I'm obviously skeptical it's a matter of one push….

> You have me questioning my original position. I do believe a F2F is necessary. The size and formality of the BA meetings...we probably won't know that until we get underway. I'm not sure what to do given the deadlines we face.

Well, a F2F would certainly help, the question is can we realistically expect a) the process will have percolated to the point that we have draft text to discuss in November (remember a lot of people will be jammed up with IGF etc in the meanwhile, plus we will have to organize and execute a NCUC election, while others do the same for NCSG, plus all else happening) and b) a bunch of people to commit promptly to come early to BA, especially if funding is unclear.

What I do not want to do is ask for a budgetary outlay to support a meeting (ridiculous with staff and technical support) if we end up with the three covered travelers sitting in a room and two or three people on the Adobe.  So either we get a) a clear sense of who can be there and b) develop a clear and doable timeline for the production of a draft text to talk about, or we should tell Glen never mind and just talk about this within the Constituency Day program.  In Durban I programmed a lot of substantive discussion because a couple people complained in Beijing that organizational is boring and you said if we did that again we'd be beheaded by an angry mob.  I'd be willing to take a chance on dismemberment in BA and spend 60-90 minutes talking bylaws (esp. Policy Comm) and suspect that might be sufficient.

You said you and Tapani drafted a letter for vet members encouraging them to participate.  Why not also inquire about BA, ditto on the committee list, and see who says they can come?

Again, we need to decide this soon and tell Glen either way.

> ICANN staff seems willing to work with us. At least two members of the EC seem pretty willing to focus on it. We have volunteers numbering in the double digits.

Ok, so start the conversation in your committee and see what's what?

> I notice NPOC is producing policy statements being endorsed by the NCSG PC and we don't even have a real means to do the same.

NCUC adopted lots of policy statements for a decade before this EC took office.  It did so very informally, with Councilors and others floating texts on discuss and elsewhere and if nobody objected we said it.  We could have continued in that vein, but this EC took the view that this was incorrect and we need a formalized process we don't have.  So everything's migrated by default to the NCSG PC.

> If not now when?

Starting now and continuing into next year when there's consensus on text and SIC approves it (I'd shoot for completion by London), but if you can make it go faster, great.

BTW, you asked in another message about process,

Cheers

Bill