[NCUC-EC] EC meeting?

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Sep 1 11:23:42 CEST 2013

Hi folks

So I'm back on the block here in Geneva and getting dug out from summer and set up for the autumn push, on various fronts.  One of these is of course getting NCUC work rebooted.  We've had some foundational discussion of bylaws revision on the list, now we need to start putting things in motion.  I remain concerned about the timeline and what's going to be operationally feasible given the SIC's need to review and sign off (and potentially, ask for xyz tweaks which we then submit and wait some more to hear on), and I've written to Rob Hoggarth asking for some clarification.  But regardless of our "due date," we need to get started and see how far we can move.  September-October are not great months at my end with a new semester, the IGF, etc., but I'll try to help things along.  Movement will definitely require engagement from the folks who expressed the strongest concerns about the bylaws and a prior desire to lead their revision.

We also have other operational stuff to deal with, e.g. I'm already getting bugged by staff about Buenos Aires planning, there's the budget allocations (including ancillary IGF funding—here too awaiting staff clarification), etc.

To get us moving, I suggest we organize a EC meeting (effectively picking up where the Durban EC meeting ended).  Would Wednesday or Friday work?  If so I'll put up a doodle.  As to how to meet—if we really want the whole ICANN package with adobe and phone bridge and all that I'd have to request it in accordance with our Tool Kit application.   Alternatively, we could try something less formalized and staff-dependent, e.g. a Google Groups meeting.   I'd need a tad of training on the latter as I've never done one and am interested to learn.

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org