[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Durban, South Africa Supported Travel

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat May 11 11:42:05 CEST 2013

Hi

> From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
> Subject: Durban, South Africa Supported Travel
> Date: May 10, 2013 9:10:25 PM GMT+02:00
> To: Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>
> Cc: "gnso-secs at icann.org" <gnso-secs at icann.org>
>
> Dear Robin and Bill,
>
> In order to meet the travel and hotel deadline for the ICANN meetings in Durban, South Africa, would you please be so kind as to let me have the names of your constituency/stakeholder group members and the level of support that they should receive for the Durban meetings.    Please let me have your information no later than 17 May 2012.

There are three travel slots.  Presumably the chair needs to go, so that leaves two.  The criteria we've loosely used in the past to allocate have included 1) preference for people who have been particularly active in a GNSO Working Group or EC project or whatever whose presence is needed at a given meeting, either for GNSO purposes or for intra-NCUC project management/Constituency Day purposes; 2) some rotation and "spreading it around" so different involved people get a chance to attend; 3) consideration of both EC and general members; 4) etc?  (I'm digging through a swamp of mail over morning coffee and don't have time right now to look through past threads to remember if there was something else).

3) can be tricky. My memory is fuzzy but I believe we at least once suggested on the members list that there was an availability and had folks pop up to ask for support who'd never been involved or even spoken much on the list, so whether the EC should just be managerial and pick or should announce to all but specify criteria (actually, I think we did, to no avail) is a decision point.  In general I believe the EC just picking has been the most common approach over the years.

Also, I should remind you that different ways of allocating are possible, e.g. two fully supported travelers with plane, hotel and per diem, or splitting it across more people, so like one person gets travel and another gets hotel, etc.  I don't recall exactly how this works, if the per diem is a separable third item or goes with one of the others, but could check if there's interest.  Of course, it's understood that unless they have another source of support, most travelers would prefer full to partial; I'm just noting that it's an option.  I think Mary Wong's taken partial before, probably others.  Anyway, for Beijing I believe Wilson and Ed were fully supported.

So: dividing scarce resources is awkward, but we have to come to a decision that's fair, consensual, and serves NCUC's needs in Durban.   I guess first establish who here's interested and the cases for them needing to be there, and also your thoughts on how to deal with the extra-EC question?

Thanks,

Bill

PS: We've never actually formalized the selection criteria and written it down so there's a standard policy to reference each time this comes up.  If someone would like to draft a couple paragraphs sometime, that would be most welcome!  Also, any other news on developments regarding ongoing projects would be welcome—we've sort of gone quiet since Beijing.