[NCUC-EC] [NCUC Beijing conference] Being, Durban, Beyond

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Wed Mar 27 16:55:31 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> <snip>
>
>  *Beyond*
>
>  Given the Durban thing, have heard from Nick at ICANN about future
> conferences that could have official blessings and space.  He's looking
> into BA//London options and will revert.  I take Brenden's point that
> trying to do big things at the annuals gets heavy with IGF being the next
> month, plus thats NCUC election season, etc. So is BA too much?
>
>  We should establish a regular cycle.  Any thoughts on the relative
> merits of shooting for either the Spring (Singapore 23-27 March) or Summer
> (London 22-26 June) meetings?

I agree a regular cycle is a good thing and can be used strategically.
E.g., an annual NCUC Policy Conference held in advance of or concurrently
with the ICANN spring meeting can be used as an agenda setting exercise for
the year. I.e., what transpires there could inform the submittal of NCUC
proposals for that year's IGF, with IGF becoming the gateway to getting new
folks involved in helping us at ICANN.