[NCUC-EC] Being, Durban, Beyond

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Mar 27 14:43:26 CET 2013

Hi

Beijing

I wish we'd been given an opportunity to have the event listed in the Policy Update that just went out http://www.icann.org/topics/policy.  Lots of At Large news but nothing from GNSO SGs or constituencies.  At least let's get the title of the event onto http://beijing46.icann.org/full-schedule ASAP.  Can we maybe sort that out while the rest percolates, e.g. waiting for replies?

I still think "One World, One Internet: China, Multistakeholder Internet Governance & ICANNĀ“s new gTLD Program" is too much like a laundry list.  It also gives the impression that a central purpose is to talk about China per se, which could agitate host circles.  Can't we do something a bit more tantalizing and snappy, and that interweaves the fragmentation and gTLD themes?  What about ""One World, One Internet? New gTLDs in a Changing Global Environment" or similar?

Durban

Just off the phone with Anriette of APC, looks like Google wants to pony up some money for a summer school pre-Durban, capacity building for GACsters and others.  We discussed the possibility of mixing an NCUC event into that and she's game to see if it will work.  My suggestion was SS on Wed-Friday morning and then something with us Friday afternoon with social in the evening.  Will keep you posted on how that turns out.

Beyond

Given the Durban thing, have heard from Nick at ICANN about future conferences that could have official blessings and space.  He's looking into BA//London options and will revert.  I take Brenden's point that trying to do big things at the annuals gets heavy with IGF being the next month, plus thats NCUC election season, etc. So is BA too much?

We should establish a regular cycle.  Any thoughts on the relative merits of shooting for either the Spring (Singapore 23-27 March) or Summer (London 22-26 June) meetings?

We will have to submit a regular budget request for this in April.

Bill