[NCUC-EC] Fast Track Budget Requests

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu Mar 21 22:06:42 CET 2013

Hi Bill,

I'm still trying to get my feet under me as I go through the emails
received while hospitalized but:

1. Thanks for doing all of this work in addition to your other
responsibilities, and

2. We need this desperately.

As you are aware,  I've been waiting for a FAQ sheet to crank up our direct
e-mail outreach. The brochure would be a perfect compliment to the FAQ,  if
not a replacement.

As a Constituency we seem to be intent on increasing our programming at
both ICANN meetings and IGF type gatherings. The Outreach value of a
brochure can not be underestimated. I attended NPOC's programming effort in
Baku. They had no materials available at the event. There was little to
connect the event to NPOC and by the end I'm not sure many in the audience
made the connection. I question whether NPOC fully achieved it's outreach
goals in Baku.

In Bali, at our programming at ICANN meetings, brochures should be
available for attendees and, in fact, need to be distributed at the door. I
would love to have one now to attach to e-mailed recruiting efforts. Once
created the brochure can be used both in hard copy and in digital formats
so it's perhaps not such an old fashioned concept.

While on the subject of printed materials might I suggest we also have a
real need for NCUC letterhead. When we were contacting the privacy
commissioners last year it would have made a better impression if we had
done so with some official looking stationery. It was quite embarrassing
handing President Ilves an unsigned piece of paper with no official
indication asking for his help in the campaign. Things like this do matter.

I think the newsletter is a great idea but given our slow progress in the
communications sphere to date that perhaps may be best thought of as
aspirational at this stage.

Ed