[NCUC-EC] Travel Expenditures

Wilson Abigaba wilson at isoc.ug
Thu Jun 6 18:40:40 CEST 2013

On Thursday, June 6, 2013, William Drake wrote:

> > You can get it much cheaper from some online hotel agency.
> > E.g., yeego.com gives me €53.50 (US$70, ZAR 700) per night
> > for a total of €321 = US$423, for the very same hotel.

Thanks Tapani!

> I agree, I would never use ICANN or its travel agency to price anything as
> there's a lot of padding.  For ex, BCD routinely gets me tickets that cost
> more than what I can get on the web, and I've heard the same many times
> from other people.  So if NCUC is going to cover someone's costs, I think
> it'd be reasonable to state an expectation that they look into lower cost,
> self-booked options.

I think the reason why I was advised to wait was to first consult with
ICANN, because we all thought they have access to cheaper rates. I think if
we had booked then, it might even have cheaper since rates hike as the
dates get closer.

> >> Accommodation for 7 days (12th - 18th July) - $110 X 7 = $770
>
> ISOC doesn't pay for any part of the stay?

Sorry for the dates confusion.  ISOC is paying from 10-12th, so I will need
13th-19th. That's still 7 days.

> >> Per Diem for 7 days - $50 X 7 = $350
> >> Total: $1120
> >>
> >> I therefore request for $1120 to cover my stay in Durban during the
> ICANN week.
> >
> > Do we have a policy of paying per diem?
> > (Not that I'm objecting, I'd just like to know, and document
> > it for future reference - things like this should be documented
> > better than ncuc has been doing in the past.)
>

> AFAIK no fixed policies  so again we have to create.  Again, knowing if
> there was any particular pattern prior would be helpful.
>
> I'd argue that the principle of equity should apply, and happily in this
> case the amount's not a lot.

I based the $50 on ICANN's rate for this meeting (I hope am correct). As
ICANN's per diem rate is not as high as their hotel rates, I think it would
be fair to have the per diem at the same rate for a particular meeting.
Just a thought.

Kind Regards,
Wilson