[Ec-ncuc] Action Needed

Edward Morris edward.morris
Tue Jan 8 19:49:28 CET 2013

This is principally addressed to members of the NCUC EC:

Thanks to the hard work of the NCSG EC we have over a dozen new members of
the NCSG. I've indicated a desire to help bring as many who meet our
membership criteria and are interested into the NCUC. To do this, however,
the EC and our Chair must act on several procedural matters.

Our governing documents are a mess. We should deal with this as a priority.
For now, we need to work with what we have:

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Bylaws+of+the+Noncommercial+Users+Constituency

I believe this is our current structure. If I'm wrong please let me know.
We have charters, bylaws, proposed charters, everywhere...lots of stuff out
here in cyberspace. This particular document was posted by Robin a little
over a year ago. Unless someone tells me otherwise I'm assuming it is
authoritative. From these Bylaws:

C.            New members shall take the following steps to notify the
Constituency of their desire to join:

1.            Complete an application form, which can be downloaded from
the Constituency website.

2.            Submit the filled out form and fee to the Secretary-Treasurer
of the Constituency. Where appropriate, the form may be accompanied by a
request for fee waiver or reduction.

3.            Designate an Official Representative and any Additional
Representatives to the Constituency.

4.            Membership shall become complete upon notification of
acceptance by the Constituency Chair, or the Secretary-Treasurer acting
with the consent of the Chair.

C1 is problematic. There is no downloadable application form on the
Constituency website. I read C! to *require a completed application* form
that should be available on our website in downloadable form. We're guilty
of not doing that.

For the interim, I'd suggest as a procedural matter  (per the Bylaw section
that states the E.C. can:   " 2.   Establish, revise and change procedural
rules to help in the management and operation of the Constituency")  the EC
authorize the Secretary-Treasuer to consider as an Application any written
communication from an NCSG member, on the mailing list or otherwise,
 indicating a desire to become a member of the NCUC.  I'm looking for  a
second and consent on this proposal.

That presents another problem. To the best of my knowledge we do not
currently have a Secretary - Treasurer. Per the Bylaws:

The Secretary-Treasurer

1.            The EC shall elect a Secretary-Treasurer (ST) to assist in
the management of the Constituency. The ST will be nominated to the EC by
the Chair, with notification to the membership, and must be approved by a
majority vote with at least three members voting. If three EC members fail
to vote within two weeks of the nomination, the Chair shall appoint the ST.

2.            The ST shall process membership applications, research
applicant organizations, and provide an initial recommendation to the
Chairman regarding membership eligibility.

3.            The ST shall be responsible for collecting dues and any other
appropriate fees from members, depositing such fee, managing the
Constituency's bookkeeping and accounting, and regularly reporting to the
Chairman regarding finances and accounts.

4.            The ST shall assist the Chairman as needed, including in the
coordination of meetings and the timely publication of meeting notes.

5.            The ST shall be a nonvoting member of the EC, and shall be
expected to participate in all EC meetings.

I hope I'm wrong and someone tells me we do have a S-T. If not, this would
be a great leadership position for one of our new members.  This seems to
be Bill's call, with our consent, so I defer to his judgement.

If I've identified some non-existent problems please let me know. Otherwise
I hope we can get a ST appointed  and can act upon my procedural motion in
a timely manner. I would like to get the new people involved as soon as
possible.

Ed