[Ec-ncuc] Travel funding for Beijing [urgent]

Wilson Abigaba abigabaw
Mon Jan 7 17:38:13 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:28 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:

> This is a good point Wilson?So if we were to add this into the mix of
> considerations, normally one could argue it'd make more sense to fund you
> for Durban and Norbert for Beijing.  My concern in this specific context
> though is that I really feel that our most urgent priority is to get our
> electronic presences fixed up, and you've offered to lead on that.  We can't
> recruit new people, promote the engagement of extant members, or generally
> publicize our activities with heads held high if our web spaces are full of
> wildly outdated material etc etc.  Of course, you could take a strong
> proactive stance without necessarily being in Beijing, but my thought was
> that you and Ed have been the most vocal on this stuff, and leadership is
> what's needed to attract others to chip in and move us along...
>
> Up to you, what would you prefer: Beijing, or wait to Durban and lead the
> web charge nonetheless?

I will be happy to go to Beijing, and continue playing a lead role on
this. As I said yesterday, one of the strategies to grow our
constituency will be to have this info published in a way that will be
readily available & legible to all. As much as most of this will be
done before April, Beijing provides the earliest opportunity in the
year to do more of this during & after the meeting when its still
early in the year since we plan to hold a number of activities.

Regards,
Wilson