[Ec-ncuc] Travel funding for Beijing [urgent]

William Drake william.drake
Mon Jan 7 16:28:23 CET 2013

HI

On Jan 7, 2013, at 2:30 PM, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> I'll simplify it a bit by opting out now: I can, and will, fund
> my own way to Beijing. (I'm assuming there're no problems in
> this from ICANN bureaucracy or NCUC policies or whatever.)

Wow, great, that does simplify.  You're a hero, Tapani!  And of course, yes anyone can attend any ICANN meeting, Glen's just asking who are the three to be funded by ICANN.

On Jan 7, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> I am not sure I will take on this new adventure (Baku was already brutal, as I got a flu and had difficulty with medical assistance, missed several meetings and took me two weeks to recover after it), but if I do, CG will cover my expenses as usual, so one less to worry.

Sorry to hear that but understood.  Hope you feel up to it later and CG can support!

On Jan 7, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Wilson Abigaba wrote:

> On the other hand, Geographically closer members may be in a better
> position to organize things (like a constituency event) since they
> find it easier to mobile resources or perhaps recruit more familiar
> members..which makes them  a case to for for the meeting.

This is a good point Wilson?So if we were to add this into the mix of considerations, normally one could argue it'd make more sense to fund you for Durban and Norbert for Beijing.  My concern in this specific context though is that I really feel that our most urgent priority is to get our electronic presences fixed up, and you've offered to lead on that.  We can't recruit new people, promote the engagement of extant members, or generally publicize our activities with heads held high if our web spaces are full of wildly outdated material etc etc.  Of course, you could take a strong proactive stance without necessarily being in Beijing, but my thought was that you and Ed have been the most vocal on this stuff, and leadership is what's needed to attract others to chip in and move us along...

Up to you, what would you prefer: Beijing, or wait to Durban and lead the web charge nonetheless?

Bill