[Ec-ncuc] Video update

Edward Morris edward.morris
Sun Feb 3 10:47:19 CET 2013

-.  I understand that since most members of this EC group were not involved
in the original decision to make the video it is less invested in or
interested in the follow through, but if one trusts one's colleagues and
has a spirit of cooperation and collegiality, as the last EC group did, it
should not be that difficult to understand the need for following up and
concluding this project. There was, in fact, enthusiastic support for a
promotional video for NCUC and it's kind of sad to see the carping and
mistrust that has replaced it in this group.

More attacks on our volunteers. Carping and mistrust?

I prefer to think of it as responsible, transparent financial leadership
for a change.

Milton, are you capable of making an argument without insulting people?

> We spent $2,315 on the shooting. Not a big deal.

For a constituency with an outdated website, no written promotional
materials and no attempt at branding it is a huge waste.

The material can still be used in a production that truly reflects the
diversity of our Constituency and integrates with our volunteer led
promotional revamp.

> Tapani: you are asking perfectly legitimate questions given the way this
> has fallen into your lap. But "5% of our accumulated funds" is not at all
> how I would characterize the expenditure. NCUC funds are not a fixed amount
> that every expenditure subtracts from until we are at zero. We get
> recurring annual contributions from PIR and special contributions from
> other sources. So the fund level goes down when we spend, but goes back up
> when we get contributions. In general, this project is an outgrowth of the
> Toronto event and we raised money specifically to do it. There are no other
> outstanding demands on our budget at this time.

So apparently the outreaches planned for Beijing and Durban are free?

Which budget are we talking about? The one that does not exist?

> Your more general questions about financial reporting will be responded to
> in another message. Can I conclude that we are agreed on Option 1?

No.

I want input from the e-platform, communications, inreach and outreach
committees to see if and how the current production meets or does not met
their needs. I'd also like to hear from the Finance committee to see how
this and other planned expenditures affect our reserves.

Carping and mistrust? If that is what you call EC members who are concerned
about being  better informed about NPOC's transparent online finances than
our own then label it what you must.