[Ec-ncuc] Video update

Milton L Mueller mueller
Sun Feb 3 08:02:31 CET 2013

[Milton L Mueller] The project was duly authorized by the previous EC. Yes, that decision is fully documented, and I can forward the original October 8 2012 proposal from Brenden, which was approved.  I understand that since most members of this EC group were not involved in the original decision to make the video it is less invested in or interested in the follow through, but if one trusts one's colleagues and has a spirit of cooperation and collegiality, as the last EC group did, it should not be that difficult to understand the need for following up and concluding this project. There was, in fact, enthusiastic support for a promotional video for NCUC and it's kind of sad to see the carping and mistrust that has replaced it in this group. I hope we can recapture that enthusiasm.

We spent $2,315 on the shooting. Not a big deal. Actually very cheap. When the project was approved we deliberately decided to make the post-production cost decision later, once we saw what we had. And so the current EC is being asked to authorize the level of what is called post-production expenditures. Post production can be very basic or very elaborate and expensive. My understanding is that the current EC doesn't want to spend a lot more. That's fine, pick Option 1.

Tapani: you are asking perfectly legitimate questions given the way this has fallen into your lap. But "5% of our accumulated funds" is not at all how I would characterize the expenditure. NCUC funds are not a fixed amount that every expenditure subtracts from until we are at zero. We get recurring annual contributions from PIR and special contributions from other sources. So the fund level goes down when we spend, but goes back up when we get contributions. In general, this project is an outgrowth of the Toronto event and we raised money specifically to do it. There are no other outstanding demands on our budget at this time.

Your more general questions about financial reporting will be responded to in another message. Can I conclude that we are agreed on Option 1?