[NCUC-EC] August to do [long]

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Thu Aug 15 00:29:38 CEST 2013

Hi Bill,

I hope you are enjoying your visit home and are experiencing good weather
and good health.

> *1. Buenos Aires Travel*
>

> In light of the bylaws initiative and not having heard a competing
> rationale for anyone else I propose that we notify Glen that the covered
> travelers will be Ed and Tapani (who's boot up messages to ncuc-discuss are
> forthcoming).

We're working on this daily, along with Wilson, to put together a roll out
that includes our web site, the mailing list and a personal appeal to some
of our senior members. Hopefully you'll start seeing some output in the
next few days.

>  We can look later at what can be done otherwise with NCUC funds but we
> should make up our minds and notify, we are already late.  If someone has a
> counter view please lay it out quickly and let's get this done, as we are
> also asking for staff help on other fronts.

I certainly support funding Bill and Tapani, do not have an opinion on
myself, and still hope to get as many EC members, willing to work on the
bylaws,  as possible to Buenos Aires. I'm not changing my usual
conservative financial views; I just want to ensure maximum diversity in
constructing our governing document.

> *2.  Bylaws Revision*
>
> => I can ask Glen to secure a room for us for Friday 15 November in BA to
> do an intensive last push F2F negotiation to pull it together.
>

> Glen has gotten us a room for Friday, it will be a ‘board room’ for 10-15
> people and we will have a telephone connect for remote, plus Adobe Connect
> room:
> https://icann.adobeconnect.com/_a819976787/ncsg/ and there will be a
> recording and transcription.  So we don't absolutely need everyone to be
> physically there, just those most directly involved in drafting and
> redrafting.  Others can dial in.

Fantastic job Bill. Is there any diplomatic way to request a sound version
of Adobe Connect?  I've had a number of meetings recently where the sound
wasn't enabled and I do think the revision of the bylaws would be best
served by having remote participants able to fully participate orally, with
chat and the visual capability of Adobe used to the maximum extent
possible. ICANN's recent default seems to be silent Adobe with participants
having to dial in as well. Not ideal.

I can also ask her, and Xavier, whether any funds can be made available to
> cover some hotels so we can be there, but this may be difficult.
>

> She thinks this will be hard, but again, if we have like ten members there
> to do the thing and the hotel is a couple hundred NCUC should be able to
> swing this if need be.

Whatever it takes to get this done.

> So: my suggestion for the next three weeks is
>
> a) decide who needs travel support from NCUC of what kind
> b) recognizing it's summer and responses will be slow, start a process of
> talking up bylaws revision and joining the group to make it happen
> c) if we're doing this, get in request to Glen now for a Friday workspace
> in BA
>

> Thoughts?

You've done c, thank you, we're working on b and my response to a is posted
above.

Thanks for everything Bill.

Ed