[NCUC-EC] SCI

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Wed Aug 7 23:14:42 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

There are a number of important issues before the SCI that I believe
directly impact our Constituency. One of these is an attempt by some SCI
members to switch the SCI from a full consensus voting model to one based
upon the WG rough consensus model. I agree with Avri and Amr that this
would not be in our interest and is something we should oppose.

Without going into too much detail, a letter is being sent from the SCI to
the Council concerning the revision of the SCI charter, a charter revision
that includes consideration of this issue. I don't believe the letter that
has been proposed accurately reflected the consensus of last nights
meeting. Ann Aikman-Scalese, the IPC rep, picked up on this and made a
suggested revision to the letter which I believe is in our interest. I
automatically posted a response on the SCI list supporting her revision and
then realised I perhaps should not have done so. My remit extended to
attending last night's meeting and nothing else. On the other hand, I do
believe we do need full representation on this standing committee. My
apologies if I overextended my authorised area of representation.

The next SCI meeting is scheduled for 10 September (it's in the process of
being moved from the original 3 September date in deference to the American
Labour Day holiday). I believe we need to have someone in place well before
then. There is a steep learning curve here.  I asked Avri what her ideal
colleague would be and she suggested someone who was both policy and detail
oriented. My preference would be a former Council member, if any could be
enticed. This really is insider stuff.

In any event, there is a lot coming up and,  as the  NPOC has no active
representation on the SCI,  I'd suggest we need to fill our slot ASAP so NC
interests are more  fully represented on the SCI. So...something else we
probably need to get done this month.

Ed