[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Buenos Aires, Argentina Supported Travel

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Mon Aug 5 23:15:55 CEST 2013

Hello,

This is rather interesting. Is it my imagination or does the due date for
names move further away from the meeting dates every time we do this? A few
thoughts:

1. Bill has done a nice job of listing the criteria we've agreed to use in
determining travel slots. Thanks.

2. In terms of additional funding for travel from the NCUC treasury, Milton
stated a while back that he thought it was reasonable for us to budget
$5,000 per meeting for travel,  provided beneficiaries were going to the
meeting to offer something of value to the cause. For this meeting I'm
perfectly content with providing that level of support.

Buenos Aires is the AGM. In my brief association with the NCUC I've noticed
that all meetings are not created equal.  The AGM's seem to be a bit bigger
than the others. I'd suggest this is the meeting we most need to maximize
our bodies on the floor.

3. I see no reason Constituency supported travelers need to stay in 5*
hotels. I've done a brief search on some commercial booking sites and there
are several decent quality, 3* hotels within a half mile of the meeting
venue. These hotels sell for no more than USD 75 per night. An 8 night stay
prices these hotels, at most, at $600 for the Meeting.

Roundtrip air fares from Europe to Buenos Aires run between USD 1000 and
USD 1200, from North America price at about USD 1000, from Africa between
USD 1700- USD 1900 and from Asia between USD 1600 and USD 1700.

The per diem has yet to be established.

I think it would be reasonable to assume we could, if it makes sense, using
the guidelines Milton set,  provide full support to 2-3 additional
participants should there be cause to do so.

If we decide to do this I'd suggest we should book the reasonably priced
hotels in the very near future to guarantee availability. I'd wait a bit on
the air fares as carriers generally enter a sale period in early September
in most markets.

As for more specific matters...

Yes, I would be interested in going, but only if there is work to do. My
basic philosophy is that if someone is paying me to go to a meeting, they
pretty much own me body and soul for the duration. It's always nice to work
on my Spanish, it's great see beautiful cities, it's wonderful to see old
friends, but if one is taking the money one should be there to work.
Nothing makes me happier than to skip the Grand Gala because there is work
to do - unless the work itself is at the Grand Gala.

Three and a half months out it's hard to know if there will be work for me
to do in Buenos Aires to justify the cost of my, or anyone except Bill's,
attendance.

What will be 'on the table' in Buenos Aires? I intend to be highly active,
as many in the EC, on the Bylaws rewrite. I could argue that as, I believe,
the only person licensed to practice law on the EC my skills may be
particularly valuable towards the end of the rewrite. Nothing, from my
experience, is worse than a quasi legal document written entirely by non
lawyers. However...I could be wrong in that assertion, other members
lawyers could join the effort and have superior expertise in this stuff,
the rewrite effort could be stagnant, it could be finished: there is no way
to know three and one half months out.

Similarly, along with David and Avri I was on the Policy/Implementation
(P/I) DT and, with others, I've volunteered for the P/I WG. I'm expecting a
lot of work will be scheduled for the P/I team during BA. No question this
WG is vital for the future relevance of the NCUC. It might be good to be
there..or perhaps others may be better positioned than I by November to
advocate NC positions on the WG. Who knows? And so on...

The point is we have some some great criteria for selecting supported
travelers but given the time frame for a decision I'm not sure how to apply
the criteria to myself, never mind any other applicant. So I'll throw my
hat into the ring along with everyone else but I'm not sure I even support
myself because the most important criteria - what the individual can do to
advance the cause of the NCUC - is at this date somewhat unknown for all
except Bill.

Here's hoping others have done a better job at sorting out how to apply the
criteria at this stage than I seem able to do...I realise decisions need to
be made.

Ed

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info