[NCUC-EC] email meetings

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Aug 5 13:58:22 CEST 2013

On Aug 05 12:31, Edward Morris (edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu) wrote:

> If we're going to keep moving on with this type of e-meeting, could we
> perhaps get some guidelines as to how to do it?

Sure.

> I obviously didn't even understand an e-meeting was underway. Who
> should call for the meetings, who should close them, should there be
> agendas etc.? I guess it appears the Chair opens and closes the
> meetings albeit it seems like the Secretary is managing them.
> Is there a particular format we should use to differentiate meetings
> from normal EC discourse?

At least having a distinctive subject would be a good idea.
The opening message could also contain the agenda in a form
that makes it easy to distinguish and comment/vote on.

> In my view, the Bylaws place all of this directly in the area of
> responsibility of Bill as Chair.

In general meetings are the responsibility of the chair,
but of course various functions can be delegated as well.
I am quite happy to run the "bureacracy" or secretarial work,
writing agendas and minutes &c, but ultimately it's up to
Bill to call the shots.

> My only concern is that we need to be able to
> differentiate meetings from other forms of discourse.

I would suggest simply using subject lines like

"EC Meeting x/2013 - Agenda"

to make meetings distinctive from general discussion.
Maybe add stars or something to make it stand out even more.

--
Tapani Tarvainen