[Ec-ncuc] FW: Chairs discussion: proposal for pilot funding to constituencies for support of constituency services

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis
Wed Oct 26 14:47:03 CEST 2011

FYI ? I personally think this is a very good idea and I think we should support it. I would like us to get $20000 budget to bring people in ICANN meetings and have money for outreach ? the need to get more orgs is very important.

Looking for thought before I respond to MC

KK

From: "'marilynscade at hotmail. com'" <marilynscade at hotmail.com<mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:53:52 +0100
To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis at strath.ac.uk<mailto:k.komaitis at strath.ac.uk>>, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org<mailto:robin at ipjustice.org>>, Amber Sterling <asterling at aamc.org<mailto:asterling at aamc.org>>, "tony_1aspen at btinternet.com<mailto:tony_1aspen at btinternet.com>" <tony_1aspen at btinternet.com<mailto:tony_1aspen at btinternet.com>>, Steven Metalitz <met at msk.com<mailto:met at msk.com>>, Chris at Andalucia <chris at andalucia.com<mailto:chris at andalucia.com>>, "'dmaher at pir. org'" <dmaher at pir.org<mailto:dmaher at pir.org>>, St??phane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder at indom.com<mailto:stephane.vangelder at indom.com>>, "mcole at nameking.com<mailto:mcole at nameking.com>" <mcole at nameking.com<mailto:mcole at nameking.com>>
Cc: Benedetta BC Secretariat <secretariat-bc at hotmail.com<mailto:secretariat-bc at hotmail.com>>
Subject: Chairs discussion: proposal for pilot funding to constituencies for support of constituency services

The BC made a proposal to the Budget last year, and will resubmit -- pilot project for $20,000 funding to each constituency to create constituency support for services they need  -- could be outreach, participation, secretariat funding -- treat as a pilot, each constituency submit a proposal of what they will do, and what reporting and outcomes would be.  Benefit: $170,000 budget item in total
measurable and definable.
Gives ICANN time to work out what they are going to do, that is practical and helpful that constituencies [and ALAC] can use. does not replace Tool Kit, but is based on activities that a constituency would self develop and do.

e.g. we did a newsletter -- cost about 1000 euros including printing 500 copies. [HUGE AMOUNT OF WORK BY US, THOUGH, SO JUST FYI ON THAT FRONT].

we are proposing to do some bc membership recruitment and to work with some small trade associations in developing countries to support their involvement and engagement in ICANN.  Our proposal is specific to such kinds of initiatives for the 2012 budget.

but each constituency should self define. Another might prefer to pay for some part time secretariat services. We would not propose that constituencies oversee or interfere in what another group does with their pilot but to have standard rules for submitting a proposal, agrement on general categories [very broadly defined] requirement of identified deliverables, with a brief report about what was done, and what was accomplished. At the end of the year, the project managers of each constituency's projects should gather and discuss whethr this is effective and should be resubmitted, or if other services from ICANN have replaced.

I would like to ask for support for this approach, but am not asking you to endorse or take any responsibility for what we would propose to do with our $20,000 allocation [if it is awarded].

We are of the view that the ALAC has some similarities in need for ICANN generated informational materials that we might be able to also use as additional support, but that would apply to all constituencies we think -- e.g. what is ICANN stuff. BUT, to customize about why a Constituney's members should participate, we are of the view that customization by the experts [the constituencies] is critical.

any interested Chair/designee could contact me and Chris Chaplow. We would welcome sharing our very brief draft.

finally, we would like to ask the Council's Chair/Vice Chairs to consider having a group photo of the Councilors in Costa Rica, to go on the GNSO page. :-)

look at our newsletter for the Board photo perhaps as an example. The ICANN photographer could be asked to do it for you.

Marilyn