[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: Community Leadership Calls with Göran Marby

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 16:59:14 CET 2022

Hi all,

I am a bit puzzled. New gTLDs have failed even in the first round to
meaningfully compete and participate in the market. Community new gtld
applications have been marred with objections, GAC warning, and Board going
out of its way to listen to what government objections are even when the
bylaws didn’t even require it.
We have now come up with yet another complex regulatory framework (calling
it that on purpose) for the second round and want to ask ICANN to do a
campaign for developing underrepresented countries and communities? We
haven’t even sorted out the sanctions problems so residents of 6 sanctioned
countries can’t probably even apply.
unfortunately the way these policies are developed and designed  will not
make the new gtlds more relevant and will not incentivize marginalized
communities to participate. On top of that, did we even consider
marginalized communities when coming up with all sorts of heavy handed
policy criteria for application? I haven’t heard. ICANN campaign will not
benefit anybody really but ICANN itself to receive more applications.

Farzaneh