[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC-EC Readout Call Recordings & Zoom Chat | 1 August at 20 UTC

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Tue Aug 2 01:06:38 CEST 2022

Hello!

Please see attendance and recordings for NCUC-EC Readout Call held Monday, 1 August 2022 at 20:00 UTC.

Kind regards,
Andrea & Brenda

Attendees:  Benjamin Akinmoyeje, Bram Fudzulani, Cielito Saravia, Farzaneh Badii, Grace Githaiga, Ines Hfaiedh, Juan Manuel Rojas, Kathy Kleiman, Kenneth Herman, Milton Mueller, Nthabiseng Pule, Olévié Agbenyo Kouami, Raymond Mamattah, Shah Rahman, Stephanie Perrin, Vitus | ICANN Org:  Brenda Brewer, Carlos Reyes | Apologies:  Andrea Glandon

ZOOM REPLAY LINK:  HERE<https://icann.zoom.us/rec/play/sMG_Pxeuwwri7L7BN7PxzuBr0AqZ4yJzUdx7RSsoEu1k2jjr6JQWS-5JRYr6igEJRvqeOq41dIo4Tpwy.-e-p3af5UQCOcNA1>

ZOOM AUDIO REPLAY LINK: HERE<https://icann.zoom.us/rec/play/MLlw0FW7pVFXP6vYnU56dk6IA2rd9DefwBD2uu-iwciJuZUDz7oqShfFlcWQH118qVezp1_mZvUijIjI.s9QJ_ZaMVxM1VQV->

ZOOM CHAT:
00:24:09          Stephanie E’s iPhone: hi everybody!
00:24:58          Farzaneh Badii:           Hello!
00:26:02          Stephanie E’s iPhone: sorry to miss the Hague in person, but I had a last minute COVID exposure and had to isolate.
00:29:12          Ines Hfaiedh:   hello Kathy hello everybody
00:29:37          Ines Hfaiedh:   we have Carlos with us
00:29:43          Ines Hfaiedh:   maybe he has more info
00:29:56          Ines Hfaiedh:   as it s still pilot
00:30:55          Farzaneh Badii:           so is there a call for application? do we know who they are?
00:31:19          Stephanie E’s iPhone: i am curious about the methodology
00:32:11          Stephanie E’s iPhone: it seems to me that what works is joining the same working group, and supporting each other
00:34:06          Ines Hfaiedh:   there used to be ncuc fellowship
00:34:19          Ines Hfaiedh:   mentor mentee fellowship
00:34:30          Kathy Kleiman:            CROPP should come back - quickly :-)!
00:34:32          Ines Hfaiedh:   this is what Farzaneh is talking about @ben
00:34:39          Kathy Kleiman:            Especially with this important mentoring program
00:34:53          Kathy Kleiman:            And whew, my Zoom updates finally installed!
00:36:58          Milton: Can I be the in the multistakeholder theater?
00:37:18          Benjamin Akinmoyeje:            Currently CROPP is still not open , it was stopped because if COVID19
00:39:18          Kathy Kleiman:            @Benjamin, tx and that made sense then.  If ICANN is holding F2F meetings, then CROPP should be back to make sure we (especial NCSG and NCUC) can bring our policy people and mentors to meetings in a timely manner.  (ALAC gets tons of funding.)
00:39:45          Kathy Kleiman:            @Farzi - what are the alternatives to a PDP?
00:40:44          Kathy Kleiman:            :-)
00:41:55          Kathy Kleiman:            Right, tremendous results of low DNS abuse (and getting lower)
00:42:00          Kathy Kleiman:            Agreed - no PDP.
00:42:30          Kathy Kleiman:            Perfect - although better to not have a PDP.
00:44:55          Farzaneh Badii:           ALAC liaison to council is actively engaged with the council and a part of that small team
00:46:00          Benjamin Akinmoyeje:            @Kathy, I agree with the need for CROPP for NCUC, we were overly outnumbered at ICANN74. We need a mechanism to get our community to ICANN meetings.
00:48:07          Kathy Kleiman:            good term!
00:48:18          Milton: dramatis personae
00:48:27          Milton: tragedy or comedy?
00:48:39          Kathy Kleiman:            both!
00:52:11          Farzaneh Badii:           Here is my blog, https://digitalmedusa.org/the-domain-name-multistakeholder-theatre/
00:53:03          Ines Hfaiedh:   Thank you Farzaneh
00:54:27          Kathy Kleiman:            That has a ring - death by survey!
00:55:33          Kathy Kleiman:            @Ken, I respectfully disagree
00:55:40          Kathy Kleiman:            We don't do content takedown policies
00:57:29          Kenneth Herman (NCUC EC NA Rep): thanks Kathy. I understand, but do the contracted parties?
01:00:55          Farzaneh Badii:           but ICANN contract does a lot of things regarding DNS abuse Ken. “3.18.2 Registrar shall establish and maintain a dedicated abuse point of contact, including a dedicated email address and telephone number that is monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to receive reports of Illegal Activity by law enforcement, consumer protection, quasi-governmental or other similar authorities designated from time to time by the national or territorial government of the jurisdiction in which the Registrar is established or maintains a physical office. Well-founded reports of Illegal Activity submitted to these contacts must be reviewed within 24 hours by an individual who is empowered by Registrar to take necessary and appropriate actions in response to the report. In responding to any such reports, Registrar will not be required to take any action in contravention of applicable law."
01:02:09          Raymond Mamattah:  Good evening from Accra, Ghana
01:02:51          Ines Hfaiedh:   Hello Raymond welcome
01:02:53          Nthabiseng Pule:         Good evening and thanks
01:03:00          Kenneth Herman (NCUC EC NA Rep): Thanks Kathy. I'm still learning.
01:03:02          Farzaneh Badii:           Hi everyone.
01:03:57          Milton: amen
01:04:16          Farzaneh Badii:           Congrats on the book Kathy , btw
01:04:35          Kathy Kleiman:            @Ken: Contracted parties answer to multiple groups:  ICANN, their national governments, even regional governmental authorities (e.g., EU/GDPR). Yes, I think they understand well - but we may have different answers about what they understand.
01:05:05          Raymond Mamattah:  Thanks Ines.
01:05:50          Farzaneh Badii:           Kathy's amazing book: https://www.amazon.com/Proving-Ground-Untold-Programmed-Computer/dp/1538718286
01:06:01          Kathy Kleiman:            Tx @Stephanie!  There are so many open issues in new gTLDs, it could take a long time to work them all through and roll out New gTLDs. It's a huge process.
01:06:47          Kenneth Herman (NCUC EC NA Rep): Thanks @Stephanie. I was very alarmed at the potential for mischief.
01:07:03          Farzaneh Badii:           Here is ABC News piece about it: https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/review-proving-ground-profiles-women-programmers-87438619 (I will stop... but read the book)
01:07:07          Milton: fellow zealots
01:07:56          Milton: I will have to leave in 10 min
01:08:20          Farzaneh Badii:           Hello Cielito and Nthabiseng! welcome and please reach out if you want more information
01:09:27          Stephanie E’s iPhone: sorry old hand
01:09:56          Kathy Kleiman:            @All - I did a ton of work for many years on New gTLD policy and implementation. With my new book (Tx Farzi!) about the ENIAC Programmers, the six women who programmed the first general-purpose, programmable, all-electronic computer during/just after WWII, I'm not able to follow the implementation of New gTLD rules, including support of minority applicants.
01:10:04          Kathy Kleiman:            Can someone (someones) help?
01:10:05          Stephanie E’s iPhone: ok new hand
01:10:18          Raymond Mamattah:  Obviously funding and nice program lineup
01:11:13          Farzaneh Badii:           so we do have issues we can focus on. who is interested? is there anybody interested in working with me monitoring these issues
01:12:04          Stephanie E’s iPhone: waving my hand to speak
01:12:47          Farzaneh Badii:           well can we ask her to kindly start an NCUC revolution in Asia PAcific ?
01:12:56          Kathy Kleiman:            lol
01:13:19          Kathy Kleiman:            Stephanie?
01:14:00          Milton: Can Edmon and Jennifer Chung provide some contacts ?
01:14:12          Farzaneh Badii:           oh who is going instead?
01:14:35          Milton: I cannot go to KL either, can't skip a week of teaching
01:14:53          Farzaneh Badii:           Me neither. I can't spend two weeks on domain name issues
01:15:28          Farzaneh Badii:           ok Benjamin I have a suggestion for you. I will send an email to NCUC members and see who is interested to work with me from Asia Pacific or anywhere else to work on a few ICANN issues
01:15:41          Kathy Kleiman:            So let's send the people who want to go...
01:15:49          Kathy Kleiman:            and stay safe, Stephanie!!
01:15:58          Farzaneh Badii:           EXACTLY
01:16:14          Farzaneh Badii:           that's an NCSG travel slot which they can reallocate to someone in Asia Pacific
01:17:22          Farzaneh Badii:           We need action items!
01:18:55          Milton: bye all!
01:19:57          Stephanie E’s iPhone: unfortunately, if ncsg takes my travel slot for another member, that person replaces me at the council meeting. we cannot keep our cake and eat it too.
01:20:11          Kathy Kleiman:            @Farzi, good idea.
01:20:57          Farzaneh Badii:           No Stephanie.
01:21:09          Farzaneh Badii:           I took Tomslin's travel slot and I didn't replace him
01:21:14          Raymond Mamattah:  The person takes your place even if not council member? @Stephanie?
01:21:18          Farzaneh Badii:           so that travel slot has to be reallocated
01:21:40          Raymond Mamattah:  Makes sense Farzaneh
01:21:42          Kenneth Herman (NCUC EC NA Rep): Thanks Ben and Ines.