[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement_Olga Kyryliuk for EC Europe

Olga Kyryliuk olga_kyryliuk at ukr.net
Thu May 27 23:25:47 CEST 2021

Dear NCUC Members,

Please, find below my candidate statement for the NCUC EC Europe position.

Name: Olga Kyryliuk
Declared region of residence: Europe
Gender: Female
Employment: Program Manager, ABA ROLI
Conflict of interest: None
Questions:

1. Why do you want to serve on the EC?
ICANN environment is extremely time and energy-consuming, which is especially evident in the non-commercial part of the community. At this stage, I’m ready to contribute my time and expertise to strengthen NCUC from the inside and promote its interests within a broader ICANN community. I believe my legal background and experience in project management would be an asset to perform the duties expected from this role.

2. Provide a brief biography of recent experience, associations, and affiliations relevant to serving on the Executive Committee. Describe the relevance of your personal and professional experience to serve on the NCUC Executive Committee, and identify any conflicts of interests you might have.
I have PhD in International Law and am currently a Chair of the Executive Committee at SEEDIG - South Eastern European Dialogue on Internet Governance. In my daily job working as a Program Manager at the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative in charge of the regional Internet freedom advocacy program. Founder and advisor of The Influencer Platform, a Ukrainian-based think-and-do tank. I am actively involved in regional and international Internet governance and human rights initiatives: founding member of the Internet Freedom Network for Eastern, Central Europe, and Eurasia; former open Internet leader of the Open Internet for Democracy Initiative. Provide consultancy and expert support to Freedom House, Council of Europe and a range of international companies working worldwide. During the last eight years, I’m putting lots of efforts into improving civil society capabilities and facilitating multistakeholder cooperation at the national and regional levels. I would happily continue raising awareness of NCUC and bringing more voices to the community. I am well aware of the specifics of the European IG community and its problems, have an extensive professional network, including representatives of different stakeholder groups.
I do not have any conflict of interests that could prevent me from running for the NCUC EC position.

3. The EC performs several functional responsibilities for the Constituency. What level of time commitment can you bring to your EC role on a weekly and overall basis? Describe any concerns or limitations on your ability to attend online meetings of the Executive Committee and ICANN Meetings in person.
Having almost completed one term on the NCUC EC Europe position, I am fully aware of the required time commitment and am ready to dedicate my efforts to the development of the Constituency in the upcoming year. I have neither concerns nor reservations as to attending online and in-person meetings.

4. Communication with the membership is critical. How would you keep members apprised of your EC-related activities?
Same as before, I will keep informing the membership about relevant updates from the EC work and available regional engagement opportunities. I will also strongly support the EC outreach and mentoring activities.

5. How do you foresee NCUC’s function, scale, or role changing in the future? What areas of ICANN policy, if any, need more attention and why? Incumbent candidates should answer in a manner that is both backward and forward-looking, i.e. taking note of their contributions and work in the previous year.
I believe that NCUC has brilliant minds among its members, but, unfortunately, burnout is commonplace. Therefore, it is extremely important for the EC to focus on fostering members’ active participation in WGs, and PDPs. We need to strive for better diversification of the workload in terms of representing the NCUC interests within ICANN, including via public comments and WGs. I would do my best to encourage more members to get involved in policy discussions and public comments drafting.

Best,
Olga