[NCUC-DISCUSS] Updates on ICANN67

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:07:09 CET 2020

I totally agree that, at this point we are facing a first time experiment
and it may not be as problematic to collapse the NCSG, NCUC or NPOC
meetings. But if the COVID situation continues to spread, we will most
likely face another virtual meeting and maybe it would interesting for us
as a Constituency and Stakeholder group to reassess this experience and
check what worked or not. As well as how to ensure participation
considering the limited resources for translation services
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/language-services-at-icann67?fbclid=IwAR3YQXqWvnt4lH8UXSTwvPSMW4bUAZRkKnofdLM9Vz5mdIiyRQURK4GnssY#.Xlu8mylZ8M0.facebook>,
for an example.

My decision on cancelling the NCUC meetings was due to the fact that we
have members in a lot of places and adding the weight of Constituency
Meetings to this first experience could make it a bit harder - due to the
different timezones. Therefore the idea of hosting a members call a few
weeks later for us to reassess icann67 seemed like a better idea.

In some ways, this experience might indeed be positive. Generally speaking,
those of us attending meetings onsite tend to get really caught up with the
work and f2f interactions that finding easy and authentic ways of reporting
the meetings to remote participants is something long overdue. As mentioned
by @Stephanie Perrin <stephanie at digitaldiscretion.ca>, maybe we can think
of a way to help people who wont be able to be online and participate at
the meeting live - I would like to offer the Blog space at ncuc.org for
anyone willing to write short summaries of the sessions.

Best,
Bruna Santos
NCUC Chair