[NCUC-DISCUSS] AU WCL, 12/11 at Noon, Controversial Sale of .ORG Registry, The Conversation We Should be Having

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 7 14:56:18 CET 2020

Sounds great Kathy, and thanks for arranging the live webcast!

Stephanie Perrin

On 2020-02-06 17:13, Kathy Kleiman wrote:
Hi All,
I have no love for how we conduct many of our discussions. We tend to take aim at each other and not the issues. We often to use our energies to fight internally when the issues we are concerned about require external speaking and writing. We have driven many good people away from our SG and Constituency, and that is a loss to ourselves and the ICANN Community.

I share below a discussion I am organzing on the Sale of .ORG and the conversation I think we should be having -- a calm and respectful conversation among people we know and respect. We can explore the issues -- the sale of the .ORG nonprofit, protecting .ORG registrants, addressing concerns of .ORG Community -- without exploding each other.

Please join us in person if you are in the Washington DC area (please register if you would like to have lunch). Or join us via live webcast (and the recording will stay up). Unfortunately the law school does not currently have remote participation capabilities (we are working on that for future events).

My two cents.  Best, Kathy

[http://media.campaigner.com/media/73/731490/PIJIP%20horizontal-1.jpg]

________________________________

Please join AUWCL, PIJIP, Internet Governance Lab, & WCL Intellectual Property Brief for a Conversation

on

The Controversial Sale of the .ORG Registry:  The Conversation We Should Be Having

________________________________

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

12:00 - 2:00 pm

American University Washington College of Law

Room NT01 Ceremonial Classroom

Lunch Provided | Registration: https://tiny.cc/dot-org<http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/fof6-1qvr8o-m0ewbd-99zsah81/> <http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/fof6-1qvr8o-m0ewbe-99zsah82/>

________________________________

On November 13, 2019, the Internet Society (ISOC) announced its sale of the Public Interest Registry (PIR) to a private equity firm Ethos Capital for $1.1 billion.  The .ORG registry, run by PIR, supports 10 million .ORG registrants, including many of the world’s largest and smallest human rights and nonprofit groups.  Can a nonprofit (ISOC) sell a nonprofit (PIR)?  Are top-level domains still global public resources?  What can ISOC and PIR do to protect the online communication of millions of .ORG registrants?  What mechanisms could exist to address concerns of the .ORG community?  The answers could profoundly affect Internet speech for decades to come.

________________________________

Fireside Chat Speakers:

Andrew Sullivan

President & CEO, Internet Society

Mitch Stoltz
Senior Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Benjamin Leff
Professor of Law, Charitable and Non-Profit Organizations
Washington College of Law

Marc Rotenberg
President, Electronic Privacy Information Center,
Former Chair, Public Internet Registry (.ORG)

Facilitator
Kathryn Kleiman, IP & Tech Clinic, Washington College of Law and Former Director of Policy, Public Interest Registry (.ORG)

Live Webcast<http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/fof6-1qvr8o-m0ewbf-99zsah83/>

[http://media.campaigner.com/media/73/731490/American_University_logo_crest_Washington_DC.png]

Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property
4300 Nebraska Avenue
Washington, DC District of Columbia 20016
United States