[NCUC-DISCUSS] AU WCL, 12/11 at Noon, Controversial Sale of .ORG Registry, The Conversation We Should be Having

Kathy Kleiman kathy at dnrc.tech
Thu Feb 6 23:13:27 CET 2020

Hi All,
I have no love for how we conduct many of our discussions. We tend to
take aim at each other and not the issues. We often to use our energies
to fight internally when the issues we are concerned about require
external speaking and writing. We have driven many good people away from
our SG and Constituency, and that is a loss to ourselves and the ICANN
Community.

I share below a discussion I am organzing on the Sale of .ORG and the
conversation I think we should be having -- a calm and respectful
conversation among people we know and respect. We can explore the issues
-- the sale of the .ORG nonprofit, protecting .ORG registrants,
addressing concerns of .ORG Community -- without exploding each other.

Please join us in person if you are in the Washington DC area (please
register if you would like to have lunch). Or join us via live webcast
(and the recording will stay up). Unfortunately the law school does not
currently have remote participation capabilities (we are working on that
for future events).

My two cents. Best, Kathy

http://media.campaigner.com/media/73/731490/PIJIP%20horizontal-1.jpg

*/Please join AUWCL, PIJIP, Internet Governance Lab, & WCL Intellectual
Property Brief for a Conversation /*

*on*

*The Controversial Sale of the .ORG Registry:  The Conversation We
Should Be Having*

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

12:00 - 2:00 pm

American University Washington College of Law

Room NT01 Ceremonial Classroom

/Lunch Provided | Registration: //https://tiny.cc/dot-org/
<http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/fof6-1qvr8o-m0ewbd-99zsah81/>//
<http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/fof6-1qvr8o-m0ewbe-99zsah82/>

On November 13, 2019, the Internet Society (ISOC) announced its sale of
the Public Interest Registry (PIR) to a private equity firm Ethos
Capital for $1.1 billion.  The .ORG registry, run by PIR, supports 10
million .ORG registrants, including many of the world’s largest and
smallest human rights and nonprofit groups.  Can a nonprofit (ISOC) sell
a nonprofit (PIR)?  Are top-level domains still global public
resources?  What can ISOC and PIR do to protect the online communication
of millions of .ORG registrants? What mechanisms could exist to address
concerns of the .ORG community?  The answers could profoundly affect
Internet speech for decades to come.

*_Fireside Chat Speakers:_*

*Andrew Sullivan*

/President & CEO, Internet Society/

*Mitch Stoltz**
*/Senior Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation/

*Benjamin Leff**
*/Professor of Law, Charitable and Non-Profit Organizations/
/Washington College of Law/

*Marc Rotenberg**
*/President, Electronic Privacy Information Center,/
/Former Chair, Public Internet Registry (.ORG)/

/_Facilitator_/
*/Kathryn Kleiman/*/, IP & Tech Clinic, Washington College of Law and
Former Director of Policy, Public Interest Registry (.ORG) /

/*Live Webcast*/
<http://go2.mailengine1.com/click/fof6-1qvr8o-m0ewbf-99zsah83/>

Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property
4300 Nebraska Avenue
Washington, DC District of Columbia 20016
United States