[NCUC-DISCUSS] Invite for voting

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Jun 12 08:21:47 CEST 2019

Dear Farell,

Good reminder. I would like to add, however, that NCUC elections
are a bit different from NCSG.

First, each position available is voted on separately, unlike in
council election where several candidates fight over several (now
three) seats. Who you vote for, say, Africa, doesn't have any effect
on, say, European seat, unlike in the council election, where voting
also for your second choice too may end up your causing your first
choice to lose.

Second, unlike in NCSG elections, in NCUC vote the "abstain" votes
have a significance: according to the ballot, a candidate will not be
elected if she or he gets more "abstain" votes than positive ones.

That is, if a candidate were to get 100 votes in favour and 101
abstains and another just one vote in favour but no abstains, the
latter would win.

Unlike NCSG Charter, NCUC Bylaws are not explicit about this, so it is
apparently within the power of the EC to decide. I didn't see this in
the operating procedures either, so I presume it was separately
decided by the EC.

While this is in practice very unlikely to have any impact, I would
like to see an EC member confirm I've understood correctly.

Sincerely,

Tapani

On Jun 11 22:15, Farell FOLLY (farell at benin2point0.org) wrote:

> Dear NCUC members,
>
> Voting ballots have been released, and as your rep to NCUC, I feel concerned to remind you that voting is a duty that we should all fulfill. I invite you to read the mail thread of between Stephanie and Tapani on NCSG mailing list if you have any doubt on the process and how to choose your candidates.
>
> I would also like to wish good luck to all the candidates.
>

> @__f_f__
>
> Best Regards
>
> (Ekue) Farell FOLLY
> NCUC Rep. to the NCSG Policy Committee