[NCUC-DISCUSS] Michael Karanicolas - Candidate statement (NCUC EC - NA)

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 17:22:16 CEST 2019

Hi all,

Thanks very much to Mitch Stoltz for the nomination, which I accept. Please
find my Candidate Statement attached.

*Name: *Michael Karanicolas
*Region: *NA
*Gender:* Male
*Employment:* Research Fellow leading the Wikimedia/Yale Law School
Initiative on Intermediaries and Information
*Conflict of Interest: *None

*Personal statement:* For those who don't know me, I am a veteran human
rights advocate, whose focus is on promoting the right to information,
freedom of expression, and privacy in the digital space. Although I'm based
in Canada, my work has always been internationally focused, including
extensive experience in Myanmar, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Jordan,
Tunisia, Mongolia and Morocco, among other countries. Here at ICANN, I am
active in a number of working groups, particularly RPMs, and on the ATRT3
Review Team. I was also previously the Rapporteur for the WS2 Transparency
Subgroup. This will be my third and final term on the EC, and very much
look forward to working with the new incoming representatives, as well as
continuing to work with colleagues whom I greatly respect. I also look
forward to handling a steady transition after I complete this term. Indeed,
I have been sad to see that all of my elections have been unopposed, and
will make it a priority to search for new candidates to take over when I
leave this position next year.

In addition to my position at Yale, I serve as the President of the Right
to Know Coalition, which works to promote open government in Atlantic
Canada, and the Policy Director of the Domain Name Rights Coalition, which
works to promote freedom of expression and privacy in the ICANN space.

I am currently in the process of completing my LLM at the University of
Toronto. Although my research here is focused on digital platforms, it also
includes a component related to ICANN, and my latest academic publication,
on trademarks and rights protection mechanisms in the domain name space, is
due out in the next issue of the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media &
Entertainment Law Journal. Prior to this degree, I obtained by BAH (Dean’s
List) from Queen’s University, and an LLB (Dean’s List) from Dalhousie
University.

Best wishes,

Michael Karanicolas