[NCUC-DISCUSS] David and his many positions at NCUC/NCSG/NPOC

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 23:58:01 CEST 2018

Thank you - Nadira - I think that it is an excellent idea to slot this
for discussion at ICANN63.

Personally, while I tried to steer clear of this before the election
in line with my own practice of not endorsing candidates one way or
the other, I thought it was unfortunate that this worked out the way
it did, given that the position David was running for was contested,
and I think that we benefit more from having a diverse and varied
leadership group than having positions concentrated in a few hands.
That said, I also think James Gannon and others raise a legitimate
point that the constituency has spoken - and elections have to be
respected. The membership knew about this dual role, it was discussed
before the election, and David received the most votes. However, it is
incumbent on the EC, through consultation with the membership, to
consider how to address the potential for conflict and overlap here,
and I think that ICANN63 is the most appropriate forum to do so -
given that it's where we will be handling the transition.

I'll also add that I, personally, agree with Ayden that it would be
inappropriate for David to "double-dip" back and forth between NCUC
and NPOC resources in terms of seeking travel support (NPOC for
ICANN63, NCUC for ICANN64, etc.). I think this sets a very bad
precedent given the limited travel budgets that both constituencies
have. I think he should commit to relying on one or another for the
duration or, in the alternative, commit to playing by the same rules
that ECs generally play by - where constituency support for one
meeting makes you ineligible for applying for constituency support
(from either NCUC or NPOC) for the next one.

Michael