[NCUC-DISCUSS] Statement on Transparency and Off-list Communication

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Jun 18 15:35:13 CEST 2018

Renata,

I’m really disappointed in what you have written in this thread and how you have handled this situation. I do not like how you try to divide us. I think it is unbecoming of your position and unbecoming of who you are.

It is not difficult to decipher that much of the coded language in this thread is directed at me, though only on this occasion - there seems to be a long list of people who you cannot work with. But I would like to make something very clear: I am an NCUC member and have been for nearly three years now. You do not recognise this. You say that I am an NCSG member (which is true, because to be an NCUC member one must be a part of the NCSG), but this does not take away from the fact that I have proudly undertaken outreach for the NCUC and recruited new members to our constituency.

However, I do recognise the synergies that the NCUC has with our colleagues in NPOC and think we are stronger together (we can never have enough allies), which is why I also work at the NCSG level. I have never taken a position contrary to the values that the NCUC advocates for. And I think this is the crux of the problem.

I am not sure you know what our positions are, and this has created problems. You proposed a WSIS session earlier in the year under the NCUC moniker which put forward your personal position on .Amazon — a position on geographic names which was at odds with what the NCUC had historically advocated for. This was a position that the NCUC has developed based on an analysis of the evidence, not on emotion. Since then, you have sought to isolate the NCUC from the NCSG, trying to see the NCUC develop policy positions in a vacuum separately from the NCSG. While I understand we all have personal perspectives on issues, this behaviour is disappointing in a Chair, because you are either unable or unwilling to recognise this conflict of interest. You have sought to divide the NCSG just because you have a personal disagreement on one policy position.

I think your comments in this thread about the Policy Committee are without merit. The archives for the Policy Committee are open and anyone can see how our positions are developed — based on facts, not emotion, and a careful analysis of the issues. We have hundreds of posts there every month — compare the transparency here with that of the NCUC Executive Committee which you lead, where you frequently take conversations off-list and little of substance is made public.

As for the suggestion that no one is expressing interest in representing the NCUC on the NCSG Policy Committee, maybe you should do some internal reflection, Renata. You were complaining two months ago that no one signed up to your buddy-mentor program either. No one volunteered initially for the Finance Committee. You have struggled with other appointments. Perhaps your capacity development programs just do not work, or no one sees the value in stepping forward, given your propensity to speak about people who you disagree with in coded language, and to allocate resources primarily to yourself or the EC.

You have also had difficulties on the IGF MAG, complaining of a hostile environment, and I understand you managed to alienate yourself from your mentor there. Perhaps the issue is not everyone else. There's no "hidden agenda to crush NCUC initiatives" and the suggestion itself is ridiculous. There is, however, a view that I hold that you do not encapsulate the values that the NCUC has historically advocated.

I'm so disappointed, Renata. I nominated you for the EC back in 2016 and did so again last year. I thought you'd do a good job. I wish that I had known how you would try to divide the NCSG and put forward positions inconsistent with what the NCUC has stood for.

Kind regards,

​Ayden Férdeline