[NCUC-DISCUSS] Statement on Transparency and Off-list Communication

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:54:54 CEST 2018

Renata

This actually saddens me. Previously, we rarely had NCSG v. NCUC problems.
or when we had, we transparently resolved them. Those members who are
criticizing the NCUC EC actions are in fact NCUC members, any members' call
to hold you accountable fair or unfair should be responded to, just like
other leaders did in the past. Members criticism should not be called
"attack" "aggression" or "bullying". Because then how are we supposed to be
accountable to the members if we frame their criticism as such?

We had exactly the same transparency issue last year when I was NCUC chair,
we were challenged by the then NCSG chair. we resolved it. Members just
need a response and promise that it will get better.

The accusations of "unsafe environment" and "bullying" are serious. You
cannot just throw them out there without concrete and strong evidence, it
is unfair on NCSG and NCSG PC.

I have always asked you to put those who would like to be engaged in policy
in touch with us. Rafik never ever gives up reaching out to people and
informing members. I even joined the NCUC buddy mentor program to help
people get engaged. yes NCSG PC carries out a bulk of the policymaking and
has the authority to pass the public comments as NCSG comments. It is not
so nice to see that the public comment you have written is not being
accepted or being changed but this is the nature of writing public
comments. So many people who are now NCSG/NCUC veterans had their public
comments altered or not approved. [one example is happening now, we are
commenting on what Ayden has drafted and not accepting everything he has
written] But this is the nature of a consensus process. I am to be included
in the ones who had their public comment amended or simply not approved! Is
that being hostile? If not, what is?

Members can always join policy development groups, bring issues to the
attention of NCUC and NCSG and we are always open to suggestions.

As I told you, if you would like to criticize my actions or if you think I
am doing something wrong as the NCSG chair, please feel free to bring them
up. I can make things better, and I can provide an explanation. However, I
do not tolerate baseless accusations against NCSG PC, against NCUC members
or against NCSG members.

As to your policy committee candidate that you cannot find, welcome to the
club, it is not easy to have active members who are willing to step up and
spend time on this. But I have also talked to a couple of people about this
position and they did not mention they were intimidated by PC. One actually
was going to apply ...

I will stand ready to respond to any question regarding NCSG. As long as
the questions are based on the actions that have been taken and not just
misinterpretation and accusations.

Farzaneh