[NCUC-DISCUSS] IGF 2018 Workshop Proposal Submitted

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 20:06:42 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I would like to weigh into this discussion to clear up some points if I
may.

The IGF WS proposal submitted by NCUC, was indeed written at very the last
days of the deadline, Ayden. Michael sent to the list some ideas the two of
us brainstormed a few weeks ago and all of them seemed to offer some
overlap with the submissions NCSG was working on. Having known that, we
kind of let the idea of submitting a WS on hold until last weeks CCWP HR
call (held last friday) where the opportunity of working on something on
the grounds of the WP work. After that, on june 4th, some of us started
working on the document and it was shared on the list as soon as possible.

While I can agree that the timeframe was rather short for you or any other
members to take a look at the proposal with time, I would like to highlight
that it was not within our intentions to hide this process from the
constituency.  As we value IGF participation, this submission was more of
an effort of trying to ensure a NCUC participation than anything else -
hence the short timeframe for evaluation.

Regarding the transparency of the EC, I am sorry if you perceive us in that
sense, Ayden. Our list is open and our decisions are open for all members
to see, but we could most definitely profit from yours and all members
input regarding procedures and communications. As new leadership I guess I
can say that I am learning my way through these things and personally find
it very valuable and appreciated every single conversation had with
everyone in the past months regarding the NCUC leadership team as well as
possible avenues for improving our communications with members.

Either way,  I affirm you that we will work our best for this not to happen
again as we want to ensure members full participation.

Cheers,
Bruna

> Hi Renata,
>
> What were the "time constraints"? The proposal submission deadline that
> was known two months in advance?
>
> The archives seem incomplete and often refer to taking conversations
> off-list. How frequently does this happen, and how does the Executive
> Committee reach the decision to take a conversation offline and away from
> membership review? Do these off-list conversations happen behind a closed
> archive, or through another medium?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ayden
>
> Sent from ProtonMail Mobile
>

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 19:51, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear all All the processes done by the Executive Committee can be followed
> up on our open archives list https://lists.ncuc.org/cgi-
> bin/mailman/listinfo/ncuc-ec Any work passed on this list for membership
> review is collective work and can receive inputs up to when the proposal is
> finalized. Indeed the proposal could have been sent with more time but the
> EC was alerted that there were time constraints and voted for it knowingly.
> This proposal received majority of the EC and (should it be approved)
> members can still make suggestions up to the day of the presentation. NCUC
> remains open for suggestion from members on actions and projects that help
> us focus back on policy work done in ICANN. Best, Renata

*Bruna Martins dos Santos *

Skype ID: bruna.martinsantos
@boomartins