[NCUC-DISCUSS] Call for volunteers to comment on the 1st Finance Committee Operational Procedures draft (OP)

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:27:47 CEST 2018

Dear Steph, Ayden and other friends,

First thanks for making out time to comment on this draft operating
procedures for NCSG-Finance Committee.

With regards to your concerns I wish to state for instance that bulk of the
OP actually radiated mainly from the assignment contained in the NCSG
charter and we cannot do the OP halfway.

Be that as it may, FC has mandate to source and leverage opportunities for
new fundings both inside and outside ICANN and cannot make success of that
without mainstreaming the ICANN community to unravel these, liaise and
advice EC and Constituencies appropriately, therefore interfacing with
ICANN finance and other stakeholders including potential funders on
one-on-one becomes imperative so as to follow the money and learn the
priorities of our respective stakeholder groups and where to harness
accordingly.

Please permit me to respond a few others inline as below.

*We are talking about a very small pot of money here; relative to what the
NCSG has in the bank (metaphorically speaking, as the NCSG does not even
have a bank account).*

1. Yes, we in FC are aware of these and would not want to be limited by
what is now as it's anticipated the wind will change for better all things
being equal with collaboration and support of EC.

*Auditing roles et al:*
I have copied  and pasted below a part of the charter under Section 2.6
outside the charge for FC to account for all funds received by NCSG (NPOC
and NCUC).
"*Financial reports must be prepared annually and be made public.*
*• Provide internal conflict resolution process regarding funds.*
*• Provide the oversight of the Treasurer function.*
*• Fulfill any other accounting auditing or other prescribed financial
requirements as set by the ICANN Board of Directors for organizations
within the ICANN"*

This notwithstanding, I have a feeling the charter envisaged the jobs of
financial secretary, treasurer and auditor combined for FC and I stand to
be corrected. And until we have this tripod assignment clear in mind there
are likely of anyone saying FC is assuming too much, so there is no
overstepping of remit as you can see above.

*I see a lot of text around appropriating resources for the Finance
Committee itself -- travel slots, 20% of any and all NCSG funds for
administrative incidentals, etc.*

Well, I addressed the importance of networking for FC earlier especially as
regards the need to follow the money in and out of ICANN.

The 20% is actually to take care of the bank and associated charges on
disbursables as may be approved by EC, it's not anticipated to go beyond
that, outside the fact that whatever gets disbursed in the event that C's
have to apply for funds to do their work and outreach or if inflow is to be
shared for C's based on whatever is approved by EC eventually.
Additionally the job details as contained in the charter is huge enough and
we are planning for a work plan after this OP has been concluding
FC-focused outreach to afford our SG stakeholders know more about NCSG-FC
activities and other ICANN community at large.

It's obvious that since 2011 NCSG community has not been faithful to the
provision of annual accounts that encourages fair accountability, openness
and transparency and we want to work with all to ensure that compliance is
done in  this accounting year moving forward.

* Will it be scrutinising ICANN's annual budget and working with the Policy
Committee to prepare a comment? *

Yes, of course we all are here to make NCSG great and do not have any
reason to shy aware from anything that will bring progress in this SG,
including Additional Budgetary Requests (ABR) and/or Additional Fund
Requests (AFR) whichever one is more applicable plus the backing from EC.

Working with PC and EC and entire community is not negotiable. This was why
I had persistently said that all hands must be on the deck which is in the
best interest of NCSG to provide all vital environment for FC to excel
without any prejudice in order to be seen as living our Charter.

I hope this helps in assuaging any fears you may have.

Let us know if you still question.

Regards
Remmy
Member, NCSG-FC