[NCUC-DISCUSS] Call for volunteers to comment on the 1st Finance Committee Operational Procedures draft (OP)

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Tue Jul 17 00:09:08 CEST 2018

Thato,

Thanks for drafting this. It is great to see that the Finance Committee is active again. In principle I support having internal operating procedures, but I guess my concern is, do we need so many? We are talking about a very small pot of money here; relative to what the NCSG has in the bank (metaphorically speaking, as the NCSG does not even have a bank account), are we engineering too many procedures for its oversight? I'm also concerned that the Finance Committee seems to be overstepping its remit; it is not an internal auditor, the finances of the NCSG's constituencies are not its responsibility. I see a lot of text around appropriating resources for the Finance Committee itself -- travel slots, 20% of any and all NCSG funds for administrative incidentals, etc -- but no language around what the Finance Committee will actually do for the NCSG. Will it be scrutinising ICANN's annual budget and working with the Policy Committee to prepare a comment? Will it be working with the Executive Committee and the Policy Committee to submit Additional Budgetary Requests to support our campaigns and policy work? I'd hope so, and it might be helpful to think about how the Finance Committee can help the NCSG and our members where it really matters: defending and protecting non-commercial uses and users of the Domain Name System.

Best wishes, Ayden