[NCUC-DISCUSS] Short summary of ICANN meeting in Panama and EPDP process

socata socata at ruc.edu.cn
Mon Jul 9 07:57:42 CEST 2018

Thanks! Rafik.

Very helpful work!
--
Zhou Heng
Ph.d Candidate
Renmin University of China

At 2018-07-09 10:50:39, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Hi all,

I am sending here a short summary of relevant meetings and topic from ICANN meeting in Panama. As the main highlight, the focus for GNSO council was mostly on the Expedited Policy Development Process EPDP in response to the temporary specification. By focus, I mean working on the charter to initiate the EPDP team as the council as whole acted as a drafting team. This summary is not aimed to be exhaustive but giving some info and references for those who want to go further. For example, I am not mentioning PDP related sessions or other cross-community sessions since I count on those involved there or participated in those sessions to share those specific updates.

You can find all the details about the relevant GNSO Council sessions  below, with pages including transcripts, recordings, and agenda:

High-Interest Session Community Input to GNSO Expedited PDP Charter Development: https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/707710
GNSO working session https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699470
GNSO EPDP on Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data - Initiation Request and Charter DT meeting https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699476
Joint Meeting GAC and GNSO https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/707715
ccNSO & GNSO Councils https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699480
GNSO Placeholder for PDP Discussion https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699526
GNSO Council Meeting https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699481
GNSO Council Wrap-Up https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699485

The council scheduled several sessions to work on the charter that was started prior to the ICANN meeting by having leads for each charter sections. The most important charter sections are the scope and composition. The scope as it will set what the EPDP team can discuss or not, and may have an impact on the load for the team. The composition is also important for NCSG perspective to keep the team size small and ensure balance and equality with other stakeholder groups within the GNSO.

The discussion on EPDP started first by having a high-interest session on Monday to get input from the community regarding the charter. It was also one topic for discussion in the joint meeting with GAC as it expressed interest to be involved in the EPDP (while also discussing that with Board). You can find the current sections under review here (NB only councilors are supposed to suggest direct edits to the documents if you have any comment, please feel free to reach me):

Scope
Membership Criteria
EPDP Team
Key Metrics Considerations
Leadership
Recommended Working Methods and Resources
Problem/Issue Escalation & Resolution Processes
Decision-Making Methodologies
Deliverables and Timeframes

The latest version of the charter (note, no further updates have been made since ICANN62): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1krM9egtdseUtXjEii2sth4syu97gNJZFqTIlvNMwfJg/edit?usp=sharing.

Currently, the council is trying to finalize the charter by this week in order to get it ready for approval in the next GNSO council meeting scheduled for the 19th July. The most contentious part is still the scope as there were proposals from registries and BC to add a 2nd phase to the EPDP to cover access and accreditation which is not an acceptable option for us. A new proposal will be shared this week for drafting team consideration.

The traditional GNSO council public meeting also covered on its agenda:
SSAC to Brief the GNSO on Use of Emoji in Domain Names: covering the issues raising with introducing emojis at the 2nd level as emojis can be similar. The SSAC is advising to reject any suggestions for Top Level Domains (TLDs) or other policies that allow characters which are not following the IETF standard
IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms: the council voted unanimously for setting a date for the working group to submit its final recommendations for council consideration. To know more about the history and background of the IGO-INGO working group, I recommend reading the voted  motion for all the details.
Approval of Changes Made to the Customer Standing Committee (CSC) Charter: these changes were approved unanimously by the council as it supported them already during the public comments. The suggested changes are not substantive.
Protections for Certain Red Cross Names in All gTLDs Policy Amendment Process: the council got updated from the chair of the reconvened working group since the council is expected to vote the Amendment of the original PDP recommendations and reservation of a finite list of names for 191 organizations and also new recommendations.
Initiation of Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) on the ICANN Board Temporary Specification: the council used that time to discuss some pending issues and also agree on the process to move forward including the selection process for EPDP team chair (note an announcement was made last Monday for Expression on Interest https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2018-07-02-en ).

On other hand, NCSG had also its own, few, meetings:
NCSG - GNSO Board Members Meeting https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699534
NCSG - Policy Committee https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699535
CPH/NCSG - General Data Protection Regulation session https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/699486

All those meetings were related to EPDP. We could ask some board members questions about the board involvement in particular with the consultation on uniform Access Model that was shared prior to Panama meeting. At the Policy Committee meeting, we discussed the EPDP and endorsed as NCSG the IGP model (https://www.internetgovernance.org/2018/06/22/an-access-model-for-whois-data-that-respects-registrants-rights/ ) for access as a set of requirements for the access model discussion. The last NCSG meeting was with the contracted party to discuss about EPDP and in particular the Access model matter and hearing from their position on EPDP, in particular the scope.

Please feel to ask me any question about the meeting and if you want further information. The summary is intended to be brief to catch-up but I will be happy to go into details if you have any inquiry.

Best Regards,

Rafik Dammak

NCSG Policy Committee  Chair