[NCUC-DISCUSS] Support of the ECO model

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Jan 29 18:35:32 CET 2018

All,

I've been traveling (now at NamesCon) and would like to weigh on. I like
the ECO model.  Here is some information about it with a link to the
detailed, technical proposal developed by a number of registries and
registrars, in the EU and outside, in conjunction with Thomas Rickert -
https://international.eco.de/2018/news/data-protection-and-the-domain-industry-eco-submits-data-model-to-icann.html

1. What I like about includes the following:

1. The ECO model engages in data minimization. It strips down the data
registrars will actually collect for domain name registration purposes
to just registrant data -- not technical contact, not administrative
contact. That's a good step since we've been collecting basically the
same data since NSFNET. Less data; less exposure.

2. It protects the data of individuals and organizations. This is a
fundamental concept that NCSG and NCUC have been pushing, teaching,
educating and advocating for the last 15 years of the WHOIS discussion.
We (NCUC/NPOC/NCSG) represent organizations and individuals -- all
engaged in noncommercial speech!  These include political, religious,
and gender groups all over the world. Battered women's shelters,
mosques/synagogues/churches located in areas where they are unpopular,
LGBTQ communities, political minorities. They are legal persons (that's
how you get insurance to protect the battered women's facility), but
they are also exposed for the speech positions that they take. This is
not a hypothetical; I have dealt with concerns for the physical safety
of human rights groups and dissident speakers around the world for
almost 20 years.  Fortunately, organizations such as these are protected
under the GPDR laws that protect not only "personal data" but "sensitive
data."  I can expand much more (and will in future emails :-)), but for
now let me share how pleased I was to see that the ECO model protected
both legal persons and individuals -- including organizations exposed
for the very speech they share and services they provide (like women's
health care and education) (note: Model 2B protects legal persons too,
but not Model 3).

3. It's implementable in the short time. Face it, there's not much time.
Systems have to be changed and that takes time. The registries and
registrars, including those on the front lines in Europe, worked hard on
this model. It's "doable" and means they can move rapidly into
compliance with the GDPR rules.

4. It is not unlimited access to the data. Other models proposed for
access had credentialing of the organization -- e.g., a whole law firm
could access unlimited Whois data including all paralegals and
attorneys. A unaccountable process. In the ECO model, individual
attorneys have to certify not only their legal credentials, but their
reasons for each individual access to the new WHOIS database. This
access can be checked and audited. Violations can be found, noted,
published and access blocked. It's not perfect, but it's far, far better
than what we have now.

Best regards, Kathy

p.s. apologies for the double posting, but I don't think the lists of
NCSG and NCUC fully overlap.