[NCUC-DISCUSS] Additional Budget Requests - deadline 20jan

Ayden FĂ©rdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sun Jan 14 15:14:45 CET 2018

Thanks for launching this discussion, Renata.

A few ideas that come to mind (bearing in mind that I live in Europe, hence the Eurocentrism to a couple of the proposals that I am about to suggest)...

- Budget to hire a consultant of our choice (in line with ICANN's procurement processes) to deliver 20 hours per month of research assistance.
- Further the NCUC's engagement in multistakeholder fora by enabling the participation of 3 NCUC participants in the World Summit on the Information Society in Geneva.
- Request for funding to send 5 NCUC participants to ICANN Studienkreis in Tallinn in August. I have not been to Studienkreis myself, so I am not sure if registration is open to all or if 5 participants is even realistic, but just putting the idea out there...
- Request for funding to send 3 NCUC participants to the global Internet Governance Forum, conditional on the Secretariat's acceptance of an NCUC workshop proposal.
- Make available real-time captioning of NCUC webinars and face-to-face meeting to support broader participation in the NCUC's policy work.
- Request for funding to send 5 NCUC participants to RightsCon, provided we develop an outreach and engagement plan that would further the NCUC's mission.
- Request for funding to hire a videographer to create a series of new videos for the NCUC's social platforms. We could express that we are happy to use ICANN's comms team at a future ICANN meeting, provided they block sufficient time for us to film at least two videos at each ICANN meeting in FY19. This should be at minimal cost.
- Support the participation of 3 NCUC members in attending the Global Domains Division Industry Summit. This would allow the NCUC to learn the lived experiences of the contracted parties.
- Resubmit last year's rejected request for an NCUC retreat.

Best wishes,

Ayden