[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Policy Course date change

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Wed Jan 3 04:18:01 CET 2018

Thanks, Renata.

If I may speak freely for a moment, I find this change to be counter-intuitive.

The purpose of this course was to upskill our members so that they can engage more deeply in our policy work.

One part is, yes, knowing how to write a comment, and that is what this course seeks to address — but it's hard to write a comment on an issue that one is not tracking closely. We generally track issues by attending their face-to-face (and online) meetings and participating in the deliberations based upon our own analysis of discussions and source material.

In asking people to participate in this course DURING the ICANN meeting, we are asking that they not attend Working Group sessions and others where 'real' policy work is taking place. It diminishes our presence at the ICANN meeting, as those NCUC members who participate in this course will not be in sessions asking questions and contributing to discussions, speaking professionally and intelligently on behalf of the NCUC.

If this change was the result of a staff request, I hope that it can be re-considered. The leadership course in San Juan, for instance, is being appropriately held as a pre-event.

Best wishes,

Ayden