[NCUC-DISCUSS] update: CROP applications in evaluation (+dates, proposers)

Arsène Tungali arsenebaguma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:49:19 CET 2018

Hi Renata,

Thank you very much for sharing this. I believe it is for transparency
purposes that you are sharing info on who has applied and for what
reason. I also hope that the applicants agreed for their applications
to be shared publicly.

We will continue to advertise about CROP so that many more people can
apply and have this process be competitive and open. As for the Africa
region, we hope many other participants will apply and contribute to
the ongoing work on srafting the AIS session proposal. Noting that
only one can be supported through CROP but we have others (self-funded
or so) who intend to participate and who can serve as panel
participants.

We would also appreciate for these session proposals be shared ahead
of time with the list so that members of the community have the
opportunity to comment and shape the agenda ahead of time. We want to
be able to know who is speaking on our behalf and agree with the
substance of the session being proposed. We are a constituency working
on delicate issues and we want to be represented by individuals who
are subject matter experts. So far, I believe i only saw the IFF
proposal being discussed and agreed on on this list (I may have missed
the others, my apologies).

Also, i would strongly suggest that these funding opportunities (CROP
and any other NCUC funding) be widely and regularly advertised on the
list so that everyone is aware of them and can apply. I note that we
already have two EC members (Renata for LAC and Michael for NA) whose
applications have been approved (by the EC) and would strongly suggest
that we avoid having these travel opportunities benefit mostly EC
members but other community members as well. I am sure we can find a
balance here, say like not more than one/two EC members can receive a
CROP within one fiscal year or so.

And please do let us know when deliberations are done and if more
applications are coming in or more people competing on attending the
same event through CROP.

Regards,
Arsene

> Dear members
>
> I'm sending an update of the CROP FY18 NCUC EC received so far.
>
> CROP AF - Africa Internet Summit
> https://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2018-February/008807.html
> Sent date 7Feb
> NCUC Session proposal: to be sent until 2March
> CROP Proposer: Liz Orembo
> CROP Status: In evaluation by EC
>
> CROP LAC - LACNIC29 + LACNOG
> https://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2018-February/008806.html
> Sent date 7Feb
> NCUC Session proposals: 2
> NCUC Session proposal status: provisional acceptance
> CROP Proposer: Roxanne John
> CROP Status: In evaluation by EC
>
> CROP NA - Rightscon
> https://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-December/008643.html
> Sent date 17 Dec
> NCUC Session proposal: 1
> NCUC Session proposal status: Accepted
> CROP Proposer: Michael Karanicolas
> CROP Status: In evaluation by EC
>
> CROP EU - Internet Freedom Festival
> https://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-December/008564.html
> Sent date 5 Dec
> NCUC Session Proposal: 1
> NCUC Session proposal status: Accepted
> CROP Proposer: Ayden Ferdeline
> CROP Status: Approved by EC
>
> CROP Out of Region - WSIS
> https://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2017-December/008642.html
> Sent date 16 Dec
> NCUC Session Proposal: 1
> NCUC Session proposal status: Accepted
> CROP Proposer: Renata Aquino Ribeiro
> CROP Status: Approved by EC
> (Currently in review by ICANN TC, more info in a separate email)
>
> (sorry sent the previous email before finishing)
>
> Best,
>
> Renata

------------------------
**Arsène Tungali* <http://about.me/ArseneTungali>*
Co-Founder & Executive Director, *Rudi international
<http://www.rudiinternational.org>*,
CEO,* Smart Services Sarl <http://www.smart-serv.info>*, *Mabingwa Forum
<http://www.mabingwa-forum.com>*
Tel: +243 993810967
GPG: 523644A0
*Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo*

2015 Mandela Washington Felllow
<http://tungali.blogspot.com/2015/06/selected-for-2015-mandela-washington.html>
(YALI) - ISOC Ambassador (IGF Brazil
<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/igf-ambassadors-programme/Past-Ambassadors>
& Mexico
<http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/Current-Ambassadors>)
- AFRISIG 2016 <http://afrisig.org/afrisig-2016/class-of-2016/> - Blogger
<http://tungali.blogspot.com> - ICANN's GNSO Council
<https://gnso.icann.org/en/about/gnso-council.htm> Member. AFRINIC Fellow (
Mauritius
<http://www.afrinic.net/en/library/news/1907-afrinic-25-fellowship-winners>)*
- *IGFSA Member <http://www.igfsa.org/> - Internet Governance - Internet
Freedom.

Check the *2016 State of Internet Freedom in DRC* report (English
<http://cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=234>) and (French
<http://cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=242>)