[NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: Call for ICANN62 Topic Proposals - Due by 12 April

Thato Mfikwe thatomfikwe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:41:08 CEST 2018

Dear all.

>From my side I would recommend we also consider the following:

1. Improving the role of NCUC with ICANN (this will provide opportunity for
the members to do NCUC introspection and identify emerging, hidden and
other opportunities within ICANN operational plans and strategic objectives
that will help NCUC members get more involved)
 EG:
- Regional engagement activities and enhancing communication efforts,
- Exploring associated responsibilities and obligations of being part of
the empowered community within ICANN
- Assessing the role and priorities of NCUC on a regional level to ensure
relevance and impact (academic, community and civil society focused
initiatives)

2. I agree with Wisdom on the notion of re-focusing of the approach to
cater for both developed and developing regions and nations:
- It would be interesting to have a session around security vs access and
content development vs inclusion in the IG space, still looking at regional
priorities in order to frame a globalised approach and some form of
tandardisation.

I believe as Non commercial representatives we need to also look deeper and
champion these issues as they affect non commercial users more than any
other stakeholder in the internet eco-system. According to IGF 2017
deliberations in developed countries, security seems to be the priority and
in developing and under-developed countries, access seems the priority.
Both access and security interventions need to be coupled with capacity
building and we cannot ignore that DNS and effective PDP engagement depends
on access to the net so without access it will be difficult to engage the
underserviced and underrepresented regions and commuities, thanks.

Thato Mfikwe.