[NCUC-DISCUSS] registry director punt cat released

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:57:25 CEST 2017

http://fundacio.cat/en/news/our-director-innovation-and-information-systems-has-been-released

Our Director of Innovation and Information Systems has been released

We consider unjustified the moral damages perpetrated to our colleague

Our Director of Innovation and Information Systems, Pep Masoliver, has
been released on September 22, after more than 60 hours of detention,
accused with charges of embezzlement, prevarication and disobedience.

Whereas we express our immense joy for his release, we also express
our greatest rejection and protest for the events that led to his
arrest and detention. We consider unjustified the moral damages
perpetrated to our colleague and also to a lesser extent to the
FundaciĆ³ PuntCAT.

Even though from now on we will focus our efforts to stand up for our
jobmate, who has to attend the Police station weekly, and to get back
to normal as soon as possible, now we are strongly determined to give
international visibility to this unprecedented violation of freedom on
internet and neutrality on the net.

We particularly show the desproportion of the court order, issued on
sept 15th, which not only has forced us to shutdown webpages, but also
attempts to transfer the burden of making censors by forcing us to
monitor the content of more than 112,000 .cat domains.

We deeply appreciate the support received from universities, colleges
and professional associations, local and international institutions,
suppliers and, in general, friends, without forgetting the support of
the people.

La FundaciĆ³ puntCAT is a not-for-profit private organization without
political affiliation which owns the .cat domain. Its objectives are
to undertake actions to normalize the use of .cat across the
Catalan-speaking community, promote activities related to the creation
and management of the .cat domain, raise the profile of the Catalan
identity and the normalization of the use of Catalan in the area of
the Internet and ICTs as well as to develop the Catalan-speaking
Information Society.