[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN 60 Session on Transparency

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:51:49 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Please see the attached mail, related to a session at ICANN 60 on measures
to enhance transparency, in particular through document management and
steps to impact the accessibility of online materials. Oversight through
this process is very important, especially if we want to see a system that
suits the needs of researchers and advocates who are monitoring ICANN's
work.

I am definitely planning to attend - I hope to see you there.

Michael

Dear Community Leaders:

As you know, the Board recently approved the Information Transparency
Initiative (ITI), which is a two-year project to rebuild the technical
infrastructure of the way we manage ICANN’s information and content with a
first-ever for ICANN dedicated document management system (DMS) to manage
our information and a new content management system (CMS) to make that
information available. We’ll use this new technical infrastructure to
enforce governance of our content through consistent workflows and tagging,
making use of a taxonomy we’re developing for the first time. One of the
primary reasons we’re doing this is to help our stakeholders find the
content they are looking for (which we know is a challenge on the current
site), and to help us meet our accountability and transparency obligations.
While our project goals are narrow (improving findability in all U.N. six
languages, enforcing content governance, and rebuilding infrastructure),
think of this work as foundational that will set the stage for the entire
ICANN information ecosystem. To try to bring benefits to the community as
soon as possible, the community-observable part of the project starts first
with icann.org, meetings.icann.org, and 13 other external websites. Once
this work is complete, this foundational technical infrastructure and
system-wide governance and taxonomy, will serve our SO/AC and remaining
sites.

If you have time in your ICANN60 schedules, we encourage you to participate
in *the Information Transparency Initiative session *on:* Thursday 2
November, 1330-1400 in Hall 3.* This session is intended to give our
stakeholders an overview of the project, but it will primarily be focused
on listening to stakeholder feedback and answering questions.

We need your feedback to get this right, but we know you may not have time
to attend this ICANN60 session. Because of this, we’re looking to schedule
individual telephone interviews with you after ICANN60. These interviews
are intended to gather some initial thoughts, feedback, current pain points
with the site, and ideally, what you think would help make the
icann.org experience
and ICANN’s content governance processes better. We’ll send out emails
after ICANN60 to arrange a time that best works for your schedules.

We look forward to these initial conversations, and your ongoing support
and input throughout this project, which is so crucial to the project
successfully meeting its goals.

 Best regards,

ICANN’s ITI Team

David A. Olive