[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Request for Comment] NCUC meeting with GAC

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 11:02:44 CEST 2017

Hi Renata

> On Oct 20, 2017, at 08:24, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Themes where there isn't much agreement can still be discussed and brought to light, if not one unanimous opinion, the range of comments.
>
> However, it does seems that with 3 sessions about a theme on schedule it looks like the GAC wants to do most of the talking. Maybe just following the debate and making a point that civil society is also there and not speaking, or not being a part of the dialogue, is also quite strong.

Ok, I’ll bite: how does not speaking make any particular point?  Other than that we don’t know what to say, which is not usually viewed as an impressive stance in ICANN…?

I’d think at a minimum we’d want to be able to cogently express the different views in our group, preferably in a way that helps focus the discussion and bound the possible space of least damaging outcomes…

Bill

> Em 19 de out de 2017 7:36 AM, "William Drake" <wjdrake at gmail.com <mailto:wjdrake at gmail.com>> escreveu:
> Hi
>
> I could be wrong, but would suspect that the GAC might want to hear from civil society as to what we think about Amazon and jurisdiction, which are likely to loom large in AD.  If so it might make sense for us to consider what kind of messaging we might provide, especially since we’ve never had much agreement on the former.
>
> Bill
>
> > On Oct 16, 2017, at 13:05, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com <mailto:raquino at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > A few points
> >
> > - 3 GAC meetings on Amazon and one on "Any Future"
> >
> > I think this is an all time record.
> >
> > Side note for a request to have a meeting on "Any Future" too.
> > Accept "Utopia/Distopia" as alternate
> >
> > GAC Meeting with Amazon.com
> >
> > GAC discussion on Amazon IRP (1)
> >
> > GAC discussion on Amazon IRP (2)
> >
> > GAC Working Group to Examine the Protection of Geographic Names in any
> > Future Expansion of gTLDs Meeting
> >
> > - Underserved region
> >
> > It would be good to talk to the GAC about the Underserved Regions WG
> > Gov reps from many countries were flown in for the workshop in Abu
> > Dhabi on the 28oct. Now listed as
> >
> > "Capacity Development Workshop for Middle East GAC Members"
> >
> > There is likely to be another in Panama
> >
> > I've requested multiple times to be a part of their list as NCUC focal
> > point on underserved regions, no reply so far
> >
> > I would like to know how the dialogue w/ civil society is evolving on
> > this program and how these gov members enroll
> >
> > It looks to me as there could be a risk of the underserved regions
> > debaters being people who have no connection to the topic
> >
> > I bet most underserved regions would have suggestions on people to join this

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  www.williamdrake.org