[NCUC-DISCUSS] Youth for Rights @ IGF day 0

Szeming eikologyy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 21:05:51 CEST 2017

Dear all,

My application with Bruna and friends for IGF day 0 approved by the
secretariat! (It probably the only one day 0 events about youth, other than
ISOC's) Unfortunately, Citizenlab just got back to me that their donor do
not have sufficient funding to support my travel. But I have decided to put
in application for NCUC's travel grant.

The idea of this event is to prep the youth/young people who going to IGF
for some basic ideas, which can help them to relate more to the IGF itself.
We did one pilot programme during RightsCon early this year, the framework
pretty much works for the young participants who first time attending
Internet/digital related conference. I have done a daily check-in
personally with the Y4R participants in rightscon, I got the feedback that
the programme helps them understand more the topics discussed during the
main conference.

So, I hope I can have NCUC friends support on this and give us some idea
how can make it works more better. I'm planning to have this as part of
NCUC outreach as well. Will do a rough plan on how Y4R can related more to
NCUC.

Also, as knowing the cost to Geneva is pretty high, I think I have to look
for some trainer or speaker (whatever you like to call) from NCUC friends
who is going to be there. Especially Niels, Tatiana, Louise and Ayden.

--

I have some of the Y4R details here:

The Youth for Rights is a initiative for young people to learn about the
many digital rights issues impacting them. Attendees will participate in an
8 hours workshop, walking through policy, advocacy, movement building, and
technological discussions led by trainers/experts from digital rights
community. Participants will be able to learn and engage on issues of: open
source technology and development, data protection and privacy, network
discrimination and connectivity, digital security, diversity and digital
inclusion, human rights, trade and business, and more.
Objective

   -

   Improve young people’s understanding of internet policy impact on youth.
   -

   Help develop practical advocacy skills for youth for engagement in
   digital rights and policy discussions.
   -

   Provide a platform for young people to raise and discuss digital rights
   that affect them.
   -

   To provide a greater sense and knowledge on digital rights issues to the
   youth.
   -

   To enable the capacity and capability of younger generation on mapping
   the digital rights issues and solution in their respective communities.

Thematic

   -

   Human Rights and Internet Governance
   -